1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

between 1 and 4 subs.how many amp channels req'd ?

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by carpetpaul, Oct 24, 2005.

1. carpetpaul

carpetpaul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm shortly going to buy an amp that will only be used to power my sub/subs. I'm going to start off with just one speaker as I want to refine the cabinet design and be sure that I'm happy with the sound before I add more. Infact.....I may only keep to just one speaker if it gives me bass that I'm happy with.
    I'm aware that with clever wiring you can make it so that the amp still see's 4 ohms or in many cases 2ohms. My previous amps have been two channel and now I'm considering a single channel amp, possibly from JL. I may add another sub, or even end up with 4 or so, but I still can't think of a reason at this time to go for a two channel amp for this sub settup, would you say that there is an advantage in keeping to a single channel sub amp or can you see a reason to go with two channels...I dont suppose this would effect the sound ?

any advice greatly appreciated

Paul

2. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    if you go for a jl amp then they will automatically detect a 4 or 2 ohm load. as to wiring up subs there are so many different wiring configurations that you can use. if i was you think of your final goal and go from there

3. carpetpaul

carpetpaul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To refer back to my question : I still need to know how many amp channels that I need. Can I use a single channel sub amp to run two subs ? - can the same amp also be used to run 4 subs ?

I dont want to buy a single channel amp and then find out that a two channel one would have been a better choice

what do you think........one channel or two ?

thanks for the help !

Paul

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    You shouldn't run subs in stereo so you will only be using one channel of a multi channel amp anyway. I'd consider getting a dedicated sub amp and progressing with this - your obviously aware of ohmic loads and the consequenses they can make so it may be a good idea to consider whether you will need single or dual vc subs.

5. carpetpaul

carpetpaul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is slightly more complicated that I thought. If I get a 1 channel amp...and put a 4 ohm sub on in then it runs happily in 4 ohms.......if I simply wire another wire into the same pos and neg terminals of the amp (making two in each) and add another sub onto the second speaker wire then I'll run 2 speakers at 4 ohms each making a 2 ohm load for the amp......which it's still happy with

(I'm aware of the possiblility of wiring one sub to the other sub to create the same loading at the amp)

Here's the big question :-

There's seiries and parallel wiring.....by cleverly using one or both can I add 2 more subs to what I'm suggesting above (where 2 subs were running at 2 ohms) to make 4 subs but still running in 2 ohms

To Recap : 1 channel amp running 4 x subs (4ohms each) and producing 2 ohms load at the amp by clever wiring - is this possible ?

cheers - Paul

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    4 single coil subs can be connected to show a nominal 4Ω but it's slightly complicated to explain....i'll post a drawing later (too late tonight to do it), or if you want an easier 1Ω configuration.

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    `

Attached Files: