• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Better video cable for Wii

modula

Standard Member
Seems that something has gone wrong in my Wii - component picture does not output properly. I've tried 2 cables on 3 TVs and it's the same on all. I don't want to spend £75 getting Nintendo to fix it (it's out of warranty), and the picture with the bundled composite cable, whilst outputting fine, is hideous on an LCD. So, can anyone recommend a better composite cable to use with it that costs maybe around £30 - £40 please?

jasonmode7

Any component cable is fine ... No need to spend 30-40 pounds !!!

modula

Standard Member
It's a composite I need, as the component out of my Wii doesn't work - hence rather than repairing the Wii I want to just get a better composite cable to maximise what picture I can get out of it!

Miss Mandy

I've never found any difference between different composite cables. I thought the standard one was pretty rubbish when I first got my LCD TV and tried a few others as the component cable was hard to find at that time, but could not get a better picture from any of them compared to what the official one gave me.

Have you looked into repairing it yourself or finding an independent repair centre to see if its a cheaper option?

modula

Standard Member
Certainly don't want to try and fix it myself - wouldn't have a clue where to start! Am thinking about going to an independent repair centre nearby - it's just how much I'm willing to pay really..
Otherwise I know that switching it to 50hz improves the colour and clarity a bit.
Cheers

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
Have you considered the official RGB scart lead?

modula

Standard Member
Didn't know there was one - assumed that the lead included with the Wii was the only official non-component one. Was annoyed that the bundled lead doesn't work as RGB... I'll look into it

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
I don't know the inner workings of the wii and whether your component problems mean the RGB won't work, but it has to be worth a try. Some people say the RGB is as good or even better than the component cable.

tom712

Standard Member
Every Wii that I've installed using Composite on decent brand medium size Tv, has been improved by the LCD TV's scaler and deinterlacer to the point of not being too bothered about going for component until the cables became cheap..But then Im mostly comparing it to the PS2 generation consoles and TVs where composite looked quite poor.

you've got an output problem if it looks hideous on 3 different tvs. As mentioned already you could try the 3rd type of cable, the Scart RGB, and it doesnt have to be expensive, nor does the component.

On the other hand, Ive used a Wii on a projector with Component and it revealed too much blockyness from the Wii's SD res, so went back to composite to mask it a bit. Cheap AA if you like ;)

It might be possible to save money selling your Wii as minor faulty to the hobbyists/hack types out there on auction and buy another used one from the free ads where hopefully prices are a bit lower, rather than get it repaired.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom