Better speaker placement or upgrade?

Mjj80

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've just moved to a new place and bought my first steamer and speakers.
Denon RCD-N9 CEOL and front ported Monitor Audio Bronze 2.

Absolutely love the tonality, the spaciousness of the sound, and that the tweeters are not too sharp - just the way I like them.
However I am slightly disappointed by the lack of bass punchiness, and if I'd boost the bass with equalisation it becomes boomy.
I think this might be solved by a better speaker placement.

Currently I've got them on the floor on yoga blocks while I was looking for speaker stands.

But I've recently noticed that Monitor Audio 200 towers are being sold for a great price as well.
The 200's got an extra mid-bass driver that might give more bass impact and solve the bass issue.

Again, the towers are back-ported and that absolutely monstrous metal heater at the back of the wall might resonate then.

I'd be happy to hear any ideas on how to improve the speaker placement?
And I plan to order the 200's to compare them to the 2's once I figure out where the speakers should be placed to sound better.

Thank you!

Attachments

• room1.jpg
    room1.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 137
  • room2.jpg
    room2.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 136
The first thing I’d check is make certain that ‘speaker optimisation is off.

2D0B2F73-8D8F-4B3E-BDE8-0707852301CB.jpeg

It should only be used with Denons speakers. If it is on, it will be sending a blizzard frequency response to your MAs.

The second thing I’d do is get them off the floor. Even on the foam things, it’s all wrong.

If you don’t have stands then you’ll not hear them as they should sound.

Also, the MA200 are a series down on the Bronze so you may lose a little of the sound you now enjoy.

I don’t know if your budget can stretch to it, but these have 8 inch drivers and will easily provide enough bass, along with more of the sound you currently enjoy.

PeterTyson have a 30 day trial period too.

Ps, these are good stands at a proper price and certainly all you’ll need.

The bronze 2 should sound much better once placed on dedicated stands which bring them at hear height. In my view, the layout does not seems to suit rear ported floorstanders. Particularly the left speaker which is in a corner.
Also the Denon may not be the ultimate word in terms of bass control.
Getting some stands and tuning the distance from the rear wall is the first thing to try. If you can return the 200, you may as well try them next.

Agree with Nico72, get your current speakers at the correct height and re-evaluate them.

Adding a small subwoofer is another option.

Speaker optimisation is off.
I'm moving the TV unit away from that side wall to give my left speaker more room and
I'll also buy cheap stands off Facebook Marketplace and re-evaluate the sound again.

Will let you know then if the bass improved.

Thanks for the replies!

Thank you all for your advice!
Placing the speakers on stands and moving them slightly further from the walls solved the issue. The bass improved greatly!
It could be slightly better controlled but that's because of the Denon audio receiver I think.

I'll be upgrading to Silver 2's and heavier stands in the future but it won't be soon because as of now I'm enjoying my Bronze 2's too much!

Thanks again.

speakers_on_stands.jpg

Thank you all for your advice!
Placing the speakers on stands and moving them slightly further from the walls solved the issue. The bass improved greatly!
It could be slightly better controlled but that's because of the Denon audio receiver I think.

I'll be upgrading to Silver 2's and heavier stands in the future but it won't be soon because as of now I'm enjoying my Bronze 2's too much!

Thanks again.

View attachment 1571027

Much better. Speakers have room to breathe now they are on stands :smashin:

As a heads up, just try toe-in them, where you can see the outer side of the cabinet a little bit. I achieved the perfect balace of tonality by doing so. Make sure about the seeing the outer sides, otherwise they'll end up being bright or tinny

As the Denon RCD-N9 has a woofer input, if you do find that the system is still lacking, then you could always add a woofer to tickle the bottom end. Doing it right will add depth to the system whilst keeping that stereo feel

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom