1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better Sound

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by asimmd, Jan 16, 2005.

1. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi All
    I recently posted a question about how to synchronise external audio to video but there were not many replies.
    I now think it would probably be easier to buy a new camcorder with the facility to use an external microphone,and feed the audio to it via my mixer as I record the video.
    Any comments including which camcorder would have this facility,much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Alan

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony HC1000, Panasonic GS400, Canon XM2, one of the canons at around a grand offers audio level contol (the MV250 or something?).

You want one with an audio level control.

All the cams I mentioned accept a MIC level in, check your mixer can deliver a MIC level out (most offer a LINE level out, some offer both), this is absolutely critical if you intend to go through a mixer.

Many camcorders can record a line signal, but only in PLAY/VCR mode, not camera mode!.

The Canon XL1s/XL2, & sonys PDX10 & PD170 can all accept LINE level XLR's as well as MIC level XLR,s & minijack. But they cost more money.

The advice I gave you the last time stands, record onto a seperate audio recorder and it really a piece of pith to synch them in edit, with no extra expense.

3. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Roy
    Thanks for the reply.I have recorded my tune in Cubase and mixed it down to a Wave file and also an MP3.
    I have videoed myself playing the same tune,and imported it into various editing package demos.
    I can successfully import both the Audio and Video into the software,but I am stumped when it comes to syncing the two together?
    I can get pretty close just by dragging the audio along the timeline,but not good enough.
    If you could be more specific as to how I go about this,I would be most grateful.
    Many Thanks
    Regards
    Alan

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Record the audio and video similtaniously, create an audible synch point (that the camera will pick up as well as your studio recorder, if you can have a similtanious visual que, even better, it sounds cliched, but a clapper coard is the ideal thing).

Trim your clip until the exact frame that the clapper gate closes, trim your audio until the same oint (if you have a waveform monitor you can do this with the obvious spike, but doing it audibly should work fine).

Expand both clips by around 5 seconds at the start and 10 seconds after the song ends, this allows spce for visual & audio fades or transitions without being too abrupt.

5. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Roy
    I guess I must appear really stupid, but like everything else,it's easy when you know how.Thanks for the info,I will certainly be trying it.
    Regards
    Alan