• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Better SD DVD player, please

CrispyToast

I currently have a Samsung DVD-HD745 DVD player and as I have purchased a new Hitachi 42PD9700 TV I am looking to change my player as it has been proven that the TV's built in scaler is better than many low end DVD players.
So I was wondering if there is a really good SD player on the market at a knock down price because of the hype about HD at the moment.
It would be great if it had HDMI/DVI output although I would not expect a SD player to have this output.
It must have digital sound out.
No other considerations other than the best picture and reliable.
Price range about £150

Thanks for any help.

CrispyToast

Has no one got any advice on this?

Just want as pure a output as possible in SD
Came up with some players:
Marantz 4610 (£150)
Cambridge Audio DVD89 (£200)
Denon 1920 (£230)
Panasonic S97 (£175)

Would push to the Denon if it was the very best although I understand there getting hard to find.

Any ideas please.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
IMHO I would go for a lesser priced SD player and then when the HD/Blu Ray thing is sorted out and prices drop get one of them then. That's what I did. I was going to get the Denon but plumped for the Sony DVP-NS76H as a stop gap. It's a great player and I get a fantastic pic via HDMI. I'm sure all of the players you mentioned would be great.

CrispyToast

davepuma said:
IMHO I would go for a lesser priced SD player and then when the HD/Blu Ray thing is sorted out and prices drop get one of them then. That's what I did. I was going to get the Denon but plumped for the Sony DVP-NS76H as a stop gap. It's a great player and I get a fantastic pic via HDMI. I'm sure all of the players you mentioned would be great.

It sound like I may as well keep the Samsung DVD-HD745 I have already got then?

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
To be honest Crispy I think you'd be hard pushed to find a poorer player than the 745. I have one and relegated it to the kid's playroom via composite. The DVI output is soft and the component output has been deliberately fudged in an attempt to make the very average DVI look relatively good.

A Pio 575 via component for example is a marked step up. I'd expect any of the players you list to be likewise.

CrispyToast

PJTX100 said:
To be honest Crispy I think you'd be hard pushed to find a poorer player than the 745. I have one and relegated it to the kid's playroom via composite. The DVI output is soft and the component output has been deliberately fudged in an attempt to make the very average DVI look relatively good.

A Pio 575 via component for example is a marked step up. I'd expect any of the players you list to be likewise.

I noticed RicherSounds are doing the Denon 1720 for £99, What do you think?

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
CrispyToast said:
I noticed RicherSounds are doing the Denon 1720 for £99, What do you think?

Can't really lose 'caus with Richer you can return it if you are not happy.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom