Better reciever needed for my m/a rh90hd10 package ?

snapon

Novice Member
I have the gloss black monitor audio rh90hd10 package with the 370subwoofer and good quality cable . all speakers are on the dedicated ma stands .
My reciever is a yamaha rx-v671 and was advised at my purchase time on here a few yrs back that the yams are a very good match for the monitor audios .
I feel that im not getting the best from my speakers with this reciever so im thinking of upgrading to a better unit but any advise on a model to choose or look at ?
Dont care about 4k or atmos or 3d ! Am thinking of a big discounted 1 or 2yr old reciever and perhaps a different make or should i stick to yamaha ? Budget is £500 tops !
Many thanks

snapon

Novice Member
So you reccomend sticking to yamaha ? I would even purchase a used good model from classifides on here if needed .

dante01

Distinguished Member
I don't see any reason why your current receiver wouldn't be of a high enough standard for your current speakers? You'd not really get that much more from spending more money on a higher level receiver and you'd more likely need higher end speakers to hear any improvement. It is said that the cost of the speakers combined should be at least treble that of the receiver for the speakers to be in balance with the receiver's capabilities. Buying a more expensive receiver would simply require better speakers than you have in order to benefit from the additional audio capabilities associated with that receiver. Besides which, £500 isn't even enough to buy you the current replacement for you receiver let alone a higher end model.

Last edited:

snapon

Novice Member
Ok fully understood there . just thought might get better quality with a newer reciever as i think mines 3/4yrs old .
In that case i might just upgrade the front 90s to a pair of used 270s instead . then maybe a 225 center i suppose .

dante01

Distinguished Member
If simply wanting to update things then look at similar level AV receivers. Something like the Denon AVRX2200W or the Yamaha RXV679 would give you the advances that have been intriduced since your current receiver was originally launched. The Denon even includes Atmos and will be getting a DTS:X update into the new year.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
If you want a real improvement in sound quality you really need to be looking at the next level of speaker hence I would look at the Silver or Apex ranges instead of just getting a bigger speaker from the range you already have.
As above, a new amp of the same level as you have now will give you more features but not better sound quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom