Question Better Quality Fig-8 Mains Cable for LG Nano Cell TV worth it ??

marcd5123

HI Folks... With this particular subject its always going to be "each to their own" I for one I'm a great believer to spending a little bit of money of adding better quality mains cables. I have had decent Merlin Mains cables throughout my Hi-fi system for years.
ADVERTISEMENT​

Now any one replaced their basic LG fig-8 mains cables with a better quality one and of so what sort of improvement gains have you experienced all feedback would be highly appreciated!

I own a 2017 LG 49SJ810V (Nano Cell Tech Panal) so was the premium end of their LCD range for 2017.

BTW please don't respond with don't bother... I am. Open to sensible repsonces and not the ussal hatters on this subject thanks folks. 👍 :lesson:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Do you really think any manufacturer is going to cripple their product by fitting something that's not up to the job?
What improvements do you think you're going to get?

marcd5123

@JayCee.. Agree however just like Hi-fi audio equipment they all provide you a cable for that particular product to get it up and operational so its done to a very basic cheap budget.

Normally I would expect with a better quality mains cables to provide better blacks and an improvement saturation of colors also Whites may benifit with writing /txt to possibly be sharper. Their could be an improvement to less colour bleeding..

So that's why be great to here from folks with using LCD or OLED to see if anyone has experienced any of these changes.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Normally I would expect with a better quality mains cables to provide better blacks and an improvement saturation of colors also Whites may benifit with writing /txt to possibly be sharper. Their could be an improvement to less colour bleeding..
Your expectations are wrong.
The mains cable supplied isn't a “budget” cable, it's perfectly adequate to do it's intended function and cannot affect or improve the things you quote.

Last edited:

marcd5123

@JayCee .. Well obviously that is your opinion on the matter and thanks for your input. Let's wait and see if anyone else will respond with their views and opions on this subject. :lesson:

dodge586

I'm genuinely not sure if you are for real or if this is a wind up...
I'll happily sell you some premium, enhanced, carbon nano enriched, pro-v, time correct 240v, 50Hz certfied mains cables. I can offer a figure of 8 cable for £99.99. It's purposfully designed to look identical to the OEM version.

dodge586

oh, I forgot, I can also do a set to replace the cables for your kettle and toaster. Only a fool would use OEM cables...

marcd5123

Okay that it some repsonces and some kinda getting a little bit personal to be honest their is no need for that. As per ussal with these sort of questions I expected as much however I was expecting some answers to be more grown up maybe I was wrong. Yes you are entitled to your views but can we be more grown up and factual why you don't feel its worth it.

I'm looking for more adult debate and not "Facebook" answers please.

Its my view and stress my option the cables given with all TV and Audio equipment are made to a basic buget and Britsh EU standards as by law and as I stated before they are designed to get that particular peace of equipment "operational".

I never stated that using those cables would give either bad or great preformance so I believe you guys are taking my previous comments what to seriously and taking an emoji like I am somehow insulting you what?!! Come on seriously lighten up people we are adults not 18 years old school kids @JayCee :thumbsup:

So I won't respond anymore to those that want to pursue those style of comments but I wouod love to engage to comments that directly answer the questions I was asking be far more objective about it or subjective if you wish.

Anyway thanks to all

giggsy1950

You could always borrow a cable from a friendly retailer and see if you notice any difference. If the mains cable has something wrong with it or there is interference from somewhere I imagine you might get some signs in the picture, but unlikely. Just keep mains cables away from other components cables, and if they have to cross, do so at right angles. 👍

dodge586

Maybe you could explain the science as to why you think a mains cable could somehow enhance the picture on your set? I mean, if it did (which it doesn't), why stop at just the mains cable, what about the plug socket, the cheap standard twin core + earth wall cabling, the ring main and distribution box?

Clem_Dye

I use a Mark Grant figure of eight mains cable on my Panasonic TV. It’s shielded, and has a ferrite choke built-in. I doubt very much if it offers much over the thin cable supplied with the TV, but in the past I’ve found that such cables do help with electrical interference where a lot of cables have to run together. I’ve fitted ferrite chokes to all of the mains cables on the kit that I’ve had over the years. Some time ago, I was living in a flat and somewhere there was something in one of the flats that was electrically noisy. That’s when I first started using chokes. They made an immediate difference, as did a mains conditioner. To that end, I always take care to route mains and signal cables away from one another. Before anyone asks, no I don’t subscribe to the expensive digital cables theory. My mains cable treatment is based on personal experience. If you’re not experiencing any problems that you can trace back to mains-related issues, make sure that any expensive mains cable is purchased on the basis that it can be returned. FWIW, Mark Grant cables don’t seem to get the snake oil treatment that comes with stuff peddled by Russ Andrews ...

Clem

marcd5123

Hi @Clem_Dye .. Thanks for your comments I was 🤔 thinking about that my self. I had read about using chokes on mains cables and RFI is the biggest issue to try and combat. I have tried my self to not cross or overlap mains cables my self and yes it does seem to improve matters. :clap:

Zoea

Check the circuit in your LG TV to find out if it has a noise filter (I had a Panasonic that does). With a TV unless you are trying to specifically improve how well the LEDs are powered you are unlikely to notice much improvement with aftermarket mains cables IMHO due to their design.
RFI shielding with chokes is a good suggestion but again if you want to try it buy and fit a cheap choke from eBay or similar to your existing cable. You can pick them up in packs of 4 or 5 very cost-effectively.

You might wish to ask the manufacturer LG for their official response to your question and enlighten us. I would be looking to get an idea of the path from the LEDs to mains and make an educated guess as to if you think a cable will improve the current requirement (so as you can guess it's unlikely, you won't be changing the Alternating Current frequency).

Abacus

I think the OP just wants opinions, NOT actual facts, and mine is that changing the cable will make no difference to the picture quality whatsoever, and anything that you appear to see is mealy the placebo effect. (That my opinion matches actual facts is purely coincidental)

Bill

marcd5123

Hi @Zoea some food for thought their... I wi give this some consideration.

Yes as @Abacus also stated I was more going on the lines of general improvements or not to the actual preformance of picture if folks have actually witnessed a difference on their LCD/LED Tvs.

However I do appreciate @Zoea more in depth analysis on the subject so I welcome that to this chat and I may learn something in this. I do work my self in IT and Electionics so some of this is farmilair to me I wanted to open this up and invite other sensible views and opions to the matter. I do understand that their will be comments made on the thread that folks just dismiss this so called "talk on mains and better quality mains cabling snake oil bla bla. " I also own modest mid-high end Hi-fi Audio system and have a mixture of Isoteck Mains Conditioner Unit and a Merlin cables in place.

I wanted to see what others felt about the subject befire I stated I had a reasonable understanding of the subject. I was not sure if wheather or not to improve or not bother with LED/OLED panals was worth it compared to Audio based equipment that is.

So I like to do a bit of gone work and see what others do and so far it proven me worth while to create this thread and get some ideas.

I have read on other forums I. E Pink Fish forums pink fish media which are more less commercial forums their are much more "audiophiles" on their so I was getting more answers along the lines of what @Zoea was giving,however I am a big fan of Avforums and have been for donky years so I wanted to broader perspective not just mainly "audiophiles" answering. I am a audiophile my self anyhow :hiya:

Clem_Dye

Amazon is a good source for ferrite chokes, and are available in a number of sizes. The idea is to fit the choke at the destination end of the cable, as close as possible to the device, and select a choke that fits tightly on the cable. If it’s loose, then its effectiveness is diminished. As for the benefits of expensive cables, the only way to be sure is to try, but make sure that said items can be returned if no improvement is noted.

In my experience, in the days of analogue audio decent cables, be they interconnect or speaker, did alter the sound. Note I said alter. Improvements aren’t guaranteed. Same with mains cables. My use of shielded cables goes back to my previous experience, as I posted above. With everything in place, the annoying buzzing that I got through the left speaker connected to my Arcam amp. almost disappeared. Without the chokes, etc., then the buzz was very noticeable.

I wouldn’t pay stupid money for cables, but when you’re dealing with potentially lethal voltages, decent manufacturing is key. I’m sure that I could strip out the expensive Mark Grant cables that I have and wouldn’t notice much, if any, change, but as I already have the cables and chokes from my flat-dwelling days it makes sense for me to use them.

Clem

marcd5123

Hi @Clem_Dye makes for a very interesting read I must say and a very factual one at that.

You have most certainly given me food for thought...

Okay maybe going slightly of topic but withing the context of this chat how would a "ferrite chock" effect my VDSL2 FTTC firbre broadband connection... Mmmm.

Now I do have a rock solid connection from my master socket (BT MK4 Faceplace to tp-link router using cat6 UTP cable and I also wired up using CAT5e network cable from what was old master socket now movied into the living room and that made a big difference so I never get any dropouts.

If I were to add a ferrite chock at one end of the cable then another ferrite chock at the other end I wonder if my SNR margin would go up and line attention would go down..

Or if I added a ferrite chock just between the faceplate and the router.

I did look on amazon and they are reletively cheap tweek tool. It certainly can't do any harm and the their are gains to be had.

:love:

Clem_Dye

Try it. Experimentation is the name of the game here. The chokes are cheap and are easy to fit and remove, so A/B tests are straightforward to perform.

Clem

marcd5123

Hi @Clem_Dye yep may just do that I had a look on amazon they come as a pack around £5-6.

Even through I get a rock steady VDSL line I'm quite eager to see if the chocks are able to lower the RFI even more and obtain a few more megerbytes of data.

I'm on a 80mb EE firbre connection and getting around 73mbs on a regular basis as I'm only around 5-6min walk to the cabinet that's pretty good connection in my book and alot of that is down to using proper CAT 5e network cable and a Mk4 BT Open Reach VDSL Faceplate as it has a pretty decent filter built in I purchased from ebay and not the cheapy ones you get on the market.

Costs a few £££ but worth it in the long run.

I may also fit 2 ferrite chocks on both ends of my Ariel coax cable and see if that help to give me a slightly stronger siginal.

So yes you are most certainly correct in suggesting to do a A/B comparison can't do any harm. 👍 :thumbsup:

Trending threads

Latest threads

Top Bottom