Better Powerline Adapter?

johndiver

Standard Member
Following lots of research (including on here), i purchased a set of TP Link WPA 4220 powerline adapters. I've used BT & Devolo powerline adapters in the past.

After 4 months use, I am really disappointed with the performance of the 4220s. They worked fine initially, then started dropping out every few days. Eventually needing to restart most days. This restores them.

I've updated the firmware, but this hasn't fixed the problem. TP Link online help suggested giving them different names/passwords to try to isolate a problem unit. It did so, but the remaining units still need restarting every 2 or 3 days. In reading reviews of the TP Link App, i discovered that this is a common problem with their product.

Perhaps i should have gone to a different manufacturer and spent more?

I would appreciate some guidance as to alternative products. Broadband downland from my ISP max's at 25mb. So I don't need top capability in that respect.

Thanks

mushii

Distinguished Member
Firstly how did the Devolo and BT Powerline adapters perform, that you mention. Secondly how old is your house wiring? Powerline adapters are totally hit and miss. Two different people with the same adapters can have very mixed results. For some people they perform well without a hitch, for others they completely fail. TP Link generally have a good reputation with regard their powerlines, but they do not have some magic juju that makes them work where others may have failed, most brands rely on one or two chip-set manufacturers at their core so although the bodies may change the guts are very similar.

johndiver

Standard Member
Mushii - The adapters perform well - until they don't. A restart fixes them. So I don't think its related to my house/wiring etc. Its that the TP Link adapters keep falling over.

v2 API - thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at the Qualc0mm devices

v2 API

Distinguished Member
Mushii - The adapters perform well - until they don't. A restart fixes them. So I don't think its related to my house/wiring etc. Its that the TP Link adapters keep falling over.

v2 API - thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at the Qualc0mm devices
Tenda ph6 are the ones I used IIRC

mushii

Distinguished Member
Be aware that TP Link Powerline adapters use the Qualcomm Atheros chipset.

@johndiver you never answered my question on the problems you had with the Devolo and BT powerlines.

johndiver

Standard Member
Be aware that TP Link Powerline adapters use the Qualcomm Atheros chipset.

@johndiver you never answered my question on the problems you had with the Devolo and BT powerlines.

I've been using powerline adapters in this house for 10+ years with few problems. The Devolo set seemed to die of 'old age' after 5-6 years of use. The BT set similarly for about the same length of time.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom