1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better Picture: DLP Projector or DLP Rear-Pro?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Welwynnick, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Sorry to ask such a basic question. There are always interminable threads debating the various display technologies - CRT vs DLP, plasma vs LCD etc (and they never reach any resolution). But I couldn’t find one comparing DLP front projectors with DLP rear projectors.

Looking around, it seems that if you compare like-with-like (same resolution), front projectors seem to be more expensive than rear pros. So I was wondering if this is reflected in the performance that can be achieved.

Forgetting the usual “it-depends-what-you-want”, I particularly want to take screen size, brightness, viewing angle etc out of the equation, and just concentrate on picture quality. What do you think, and why?

Nick

2. Jordans Norks

Jordans Norks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Taking in consideration that picture quality is the basis of your purchase then the main factor would be how much cash you have to spend! :)

3. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Does that imply that a projector gives a better picture since it is more expensive?

4. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Excellent question. I'd say one was as good as the other although size does matter and an 8ft wide picture will have more WOW factor than a 3ft wide one!

PQ may "look" better on a smaller screen as the smaller size will reduce any artifacts, whereas artifacts will easily be spotted on a bigger screen but otherwise I'd say that overall they would both be as good as each other. Some pluses and minuses perhaps for each; internal reflections on the RPTV, lack of brightness on a projection screen, but overall I'd say it was a draw pq-wise.

Edit - for convienence, I intend having a DLP RPTV for watching Sky Hi-Def/SD (i.e. "normal" tv) and the odd DVD and also a projector for watching Hi-Def movies and some specific programmes such as Discovery and the like.
    Paul

5. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe most, if not all front projectors are the 3-chip DLP versions - hence the usually massive price differential - IIRC the 3-chip DLP versions don't are less susceptible to the rainbow effect as the single chip rear pro ones.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,672
    There are very few 3-chip DLP front projectors. Most are still single chippers, and have the same rainbow/fatigue issues as DLP RP TVs.

7. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    I've never seen the rainbow effect - hope I never will, I've made a piont of not looking for it - but I think I know what people are talking about.

Many people have mentioned fatigue, but I'm not so sure about that; could anyone explain?
    Do you just get it with DLP, or with other digital displays?
    Is it just with front projectors?
    Is it just with single chip DLPs?
    Do you get with bright images? or in dark rooms?
    Are all people susceptible to it?
    Do you get it after extended viewing?
    Thanks,
    Nick

8. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,672
    My answers to your questions:
    Do you just get it with DLP, or with other digital displays?
    Just single chip DLP - not LCD nor 3 chip DLP (brief demo of the latter only)
    Is it just with front projectors?
    I've never spent any great amount of time with DLP RP, but I've seen others report fatigue
    Is it just with single chip DLPs?
    Yes
    Do you get with bright images? or in dark rooms?
    A combination of both, I suspect.
    Are all people susceptible to it?
    No
    Do you get it after extended viewing?
    I believe so.

9. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    I appreciate those replies.

The price differential suggests there might be some magic ingredient that projectors have over RPTVs: better optics, better video processing, I dunno. Maybe projection by reflection is better than by transmission, but then RPTVs maintain contrast better with a bit of ambient light. Projectors generally have more powerful lamps – 200W vs. 100W or thereabouts. But for picture quality, it seems that it just boils down to the size of the image.

There have just been a glut of new 1080 products launched at CEDIA, and the hot ones are SXRD and DLP. Quality is leaping in bounds, and the playing field seems to be getting very competitive, but one thing stands out. The typical price for a really large (say 60”) RPTV is around $4-5000, but people seem to expect that 1080 projectors will be at least double that, and I think this is also reflected in the current situation with 720 equipment.

I’m hooked on the idea of 1080 now, and I’m bound to get something sometime in the not-to-distant future, but I’m struggling to see how projectors can justify such a great price differential.

Nick

10. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,672
    Not hugely different. DLP RP TVs have a regular DLP projector inside, much the same (possibly exactly the same) as a similarly specified DLP FP. It's the light path after it has been projected that's reflected by a mirror. In other words, if a FP is transmissive (if that's the right word, and I'm not sure) then really they both are.

11. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of is that dirty word we call marketing.

Consider that the price differential between XP home and pro. About 200 in differance in price. You only need the pro features if your managing a busines network. In practice the codeline is the same , they just disable some features.

Or the orgional intel SX/DX processers. You could buy an 66 SX chip for about half the price of the 66 DX chip.

The DX was the chip with the co-processor on it. So what inte did was only make one chip, but on the assembly line they would laser out the connection to the maths co-processer if they chip was an SX.

In essence they purposfully disabled some feautures that were built in to make a price differential between the two brands of chip.

Would suspect the same in this case maybe? It would be an intersting headto head. At 65 " whether an optoma RD65 had a good a display as a similar Optoma projector on a 65" screen?

12. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually it should be easier to get better quality on a DLP rear pro. The manufacturers are working with a fixed distance from the projector to the screen, and know the design and tolerance of the screen.

If it wasn't for marketing you should be able to get a better picture I am sure. If they use the same components.