Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

better off with screen+scaler than Pio 506?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by jatkinson, Nov 5, 2005.

1. jatkinson

jatkinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Well, I've been thinking about buying a new TV for some time and up until today was thinking of going down the pioneer plasma route.

Then I stumbled on a post and have spent the last hour or so reading about purchasing a dedicated screen + scaler etc etc....

I have a reasonable level of understanding but this stuff now starts to lose me.

Basically, I've a budget betwen £5k-£10k and I'd like some thoughts on which is the best options. I'm also leaning towards having everything professionally installed and setup, and will be based in Sheffield so if anyone can give me any pointers and tips there that would be great.

The only things to note at this time as I've got to give consideration to HD technologies if I'm going to spend upto £10k and also I'd like to continue to use my Media Centre PC (which I currently run into my CRT with a custom built vga-scart cable) with my new setup.

I've started reading about the PHD8 and will continue to peruse the boards which are excellent by the way, but as this area is so new to me, it can be a bit overwhelming so if anyone has any thoughts, even if it's a "just check this post" or "contact these guys who do installs in the sheffield" area that's fine...

Cheers all.
    :thumbsup:

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,069
    You could get a Panasonic 50PHD8 and a Crystalio VPS3800 scaler, this will accept everything you throw at it inclusing all Hi-Def stuff.

It is also a media server, you can hook it up to your pc with ethernet, or use the 200gig internal drive and maybe add a couple of 300gig external usb drives if you wish.

Media player included MPEG1/2/4 decoding capability to provide high quality media playback. External USB disks and/or the included 200GB internal hard disk can be used to store various video clips including the MPEG2 TS video taken by the new HDV cameras.

So you can store all your music and movies, HD trailers , camcorder stuff etc. etc. and still do deinterlacing and scaling using Faroudja or Gennum processing, as well as doing the same for all your inputs, sky, sky HD, dvd, games consoles, bluray etc. etc.

This little lot will cost around £6500 for the screen and the scaler and the first scalers are expected in a few weeks time. Not cheap but I would expect the unit to do it better than any HTPC, the Crystalio 1 is a HTPC (Linux based) but with a more friendly user interface, and that beats anything else I have seen picture wise, amd I would expect this to be even better.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Guy, I'm gasping for one of those myself. Certainly with a budget like that the panel/scaler combo makes the most sense, plenty left for top sound too, and a satisfactory DVD player (don't spend too much on that, HD is coming). PHD8 or Fujitsu must be top of the list for the panel, though for HTPC connection don't completely discount the Pioneer 50MXE1, I know the blacks are not good, but native at 50Hz on DVI is worth some compromise? They do look breathtaking on DVI.

4. jatkinson

jatkinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for your quick feedback.

I'm quite happy on the media front, I'm using M$ Media Centre 2005, and although it's M$ I've been suprisingly impressed with it, and after months of using it know it very well now and have got all my movies and music onto it at last, with over a TB of internal and external storage too, so as I say pretty much sorted on that front, which is why I want to make sure anything I go with will work with the PC/Media Centre.

I'm OK on the DVD player front as I either watch DVDs through the media centre or my current pioneer DVD player so wont be doing anything with that until HD comes in, and I'll be looking at a new amp and speakers to replace my existing surround sound set up, which I'm OK with understanding the technology involved there so mostly got that covered.

I'm struggling then really in this new technological area (to me) that is screens and scalers, and whilst I get the impression I now know what to look for screen wise, it's the specifics of scalers and hooking things up to them and through them etc that I need to explore further? Would that be about right?

Cheers,

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I guess! The lumagen or Cristallio scalers are where to look, both have a digital input/passthrough for the PC, and sufficient inputs for your other sources. Getting a demo would be a good idea, try [email protected] he may suggest a dealer in your area.

6. jatkinson

jatkinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

7. jatkinson

jatkinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I've been reading all day and this is what I'm starting to pick up:

1. The answer to my original question is YES, much better to get a screen + scaler. :)

2. Looking at my budget screen options are basically, the Fujitsu 50XHA40 or the Panasonic PHD8. Any preference? (I guess this is where I need to find somewhere to demo), Although I could consider the Pioneer 50MXE1 due to having a HTPC ?

3. Looking at scalers then it appears I want something like the Lumagen Vision HDP Pro. I don't understand all the technology involved so can I just check that something like that will work with a HTPC source? What about planning in preparation for HD sources in the next couple of years?

4. To do it all justice I need to have it ISF callibrated. :smashin:

5. The audio side of it all goes through the amp, it's better not to route video through the amp but straight to the scaler, there can be an issue with lip-sync on sky, but not to worry, and that because I have one of those macro creating type remote controls I can set that up to sync source changes for video and sound if necessary? :confused:

6. I need to get it all professionally configured, and possibly installed by the same outfit too?

7. and whilst I'm doing all that I might as well consider Stage II which is home automation and lighting etc :D

8. I had a look on the Cedia website and couldn't see much options for approved installers in Sheffield. So as MAW says, need to sort a demo somewhere,and take it from there.

Is that about the size of it, or should I be looking at anything else.?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You have it straight in your head, indeed. You are on the road to a knockout system. Judging by your position on the learning curve so far, I'd expect you to be able to install and set up with a list of components from a reputable dealer, maybe with a bit of pre configuring, and telephone support. ISF is another matter, most of us dealers don't do that bit, we leave it to the experts.

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,069
    And I would wait for the new scalers myself, they will be better than what is about now and will do HD scaling far better than the current breed.
    I was using a Lumagen but moved to Crystalio as I watch a lot of TV on my system and thought the Faroudja processing worked alot better with Pal video material. If your system is just for films then there is not a great deal in the processing to be honest.

10. jatkinson

jatkinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I do watch quite a bit of TV I've recorded but it's not stuff I feel is 'spoilt' by not having a great picture whereas with movies the whole experience has to be that much better ! Other than that I just want to improve the picture when watching sports etc i.e when guests come round !!

As for waiting for the new scalers, any idea when they're due? what should I be looking out for? (like this RadianceXDTM POWERED BY HQV™ ? or something by Crystalio like you posted earlier even though not necessarily for the HTPC type stuff) as it would be interesting to have a read up on them too now I've started getting into this technology. ;)

Thanks again to the both of you.