1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better mic?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by lampshuk, Jun 13, 2003.

1. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a JVC 557 camcorder and the built-in mic is pretty hopeless at recording anything other than commentary by the person making the film. Does anybody have a recommendation for a good cheap-ish directional mic?

2. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid I'm not that familiar with that model of camcorder, but if you say the sound from the built in mic isn't that great, then it's probably not a hi-fi stereo camera. The first camcorder I ever bought wasn't hi-fi stereo either, and the sound was as you described it, not much better than recording commentary. If your camcorder is not hi-fi, then you probably won't have much luck even if you do buy an external mic because the circuitry that was designed for recording sound with your camera is mono without hi-fi stereo capability. You might be able to get a little bit of an increase in quality with a different mic, but it won't be much better than you already have with the camera's built in mic.
    If your camera is hi-fi stereo, then you will get much better quality
    although your sound shouldn't be that bad if it is, even with the built in mic. Tunes Man.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The JVC 557 is a DV camcorder and will therefore have quality streo sound.
    Built in mics are often poor quality or just pick up a lot of camera noise, therefore as lampshuk has said the solution is to get an external mic.

My advise for getting a mic would be to get a camcorder mag and go through the adverts/check their web sites etc.
    Sorry I can't be any more help but I have never bought external mics for my cam.

Mark.

4. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Umm, thanks both - especially MarkE19. Unfortunately I made the post while editing the video rather than looking at the camcorder and having since done so I see that:

i) It's not a 557 but a 357 and more importantly:
    ii) No external mic socket :rolleyes:

So I'll have to save my pennies for a better quality camera.

In fact, having done this I think the main things missing from the 357 (a cheapish DV recorder about 18 months old now) are:

decent sound
    Manual focus
    Manual zoom (the zoom motor makes a surprisingly intrusive whirring noise)

Picture quality is more than adequate, really.