Better Inputs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paulgardam, Feb 8, 2009.

1. paulgardam

paulgardam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do HDD DVD recorders have only Scart inputs? I appreciate that there is no point in HD inputs but I'd like to see S-Video or component inputs. I'm looking to buy a RDR-HXD995.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    This unit has both of those inputs, as do many machines.

In this case it is as Line 2 on the front of the machine... designed for cam or VCR connection.

EDIT - apologies - As Brian point out below - I had misread component as composite. Follow his fuller explanation.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  3. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hi,

In the UK where most recording sources have rgb outputs there isn't much need for component video inputs on dvd recorders (I'm not aware of any dvd recorders that have component inputs in the UK). In the US where there are few sources which provide rgb then component video inputs are the norm.

In practice rgb and component are pretty much "different flavours of the same thing" so you're not losing any quality by recording rgb rather than component. If you have a device that outputs component video it probably has the option to change that output to rgb. If it doesn't, then you can probably buy a device (a transcoder) which will convert component to rgb.

Often the scart inputs (required for rgb inputs) can be configured for s-video.

Gav made a little typo there (excusable at 6 on a sunday morning) by suggesting that the HXD 995 has component inputs. I think he meant that it has composite (and s-video) inputs on the front panel. The machine has component outputs.

Brian

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009