Better hifi sound from a budget av setup?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by psf150, Feb 9, 2009.

1. psf150

psf150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi all.

I'm delighted with the sonic performance of my new, albeit budget av set up - panasonic dmp35 blu-ray, sony str-g820 amp and kef 2005.2 eggs. :thumbsup:

Hifi sound as you can imagine is a little underwhelming to say the least, particularly when using the dvd player as transport for cd's.:thumbsdow

With a budget of circa £150 available to improve cd performance, should I:

a> buy a beresford dac?

b> buy a new cd player, e.g. nad 515, marantz 5003 or ca 340 azur?

or c> buy a 2nd hand cd player - suggestions within budget welcome?

Or am I always going to be limited by having an av amp and speakers, and therefore have to be realistic about my expectations unless I have a dedicated hifi setup?

Suggestions and comments welcome please?:hiya:

Thanks in advance

2. Big_Si_Owen

Big_Si_Owen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Don't really know your set up so can't comment on sound but if you do fancy upgrading your CD player the Marantz CD63 KI Signature is a mighty beast that are going for within your budget on the well known auction site.

As I said, I don't know your system though so this may not give the best bang for your buck, I don't know?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    hmm i think the issue could be set up based more than hardware I'm not a fan of the AMP or the speakers.....

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    I am afraid you cannot expect hi-fi from your set up as its not good enough,I think you realise this already.

You could add a stereo amp to your system and connect to the pre outs on the sony (if it has them) you would then find that stereo would show a good improvement.You could do this for around £100.A used NAD 320BEE would be good enough for the job.

The only problem will then be the speakers,you would need to get a decent pair of bookshelf/standmount speakers and that will cost you upwards of £100 used.

You could probably get away with the bd player for the short term and again buy a used player when one comes up for £75-£100 when funds allow.

The weakest part of your system as things stand at the moment is speakers closely followed by amp then cd player.

At least it is possible to have a decent improvement for around £300 if you buy used and carefully select the items.