Better Amplification?

Russ 66

Hello,

I quite often see on these pages “you need much better amplification to properly drive these speakers” (the Monitor Audio GS10 for example)

Looking at their specs though they have a sensitivity of 88db, impedance of 8ohms and a recommended amp output of 40-100W. Looking at this they seem quite an easy load.
Should the posts really read you need better amplification to do these speakers justice?

Sorry if this has been asked before but am I missing something?

Russell

bones`

I think in this caes its more the fact that you wouldn't do the speakers justice with anything less than a quality amp. Its not just the power, the cheaper amps tend to be rounded off at the frquency extremes and are best used with budget speakers as opposed to the GS10's which are quite revealing hence showing any deficiencies with the source electronics.

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
aye, you can pop a pair of GR10's which i own on a 11 year old Aiwa £140 integrated amp with 40+40WPC and run them......altho i wouldnt recommend turning it up too far.....the Aiwa can run speakers reasonably loud, but its PSU eventually gives up on extended listening periods.....

the more expensive amps tend to have better components inside overall, including the PSU.....this is why AV amps often have their output figures derided....they claim 110wpc but thats with only a couple channels driven, once you drive all channels it drops to around 50watts....check the consumption figure to get the rough guideline.......for instance my MF A5 stereo amp has a 700watt consumption, so i'm guessing its 250wpc is pretty spot on measurement....

anyhow, the better components generally mean a better sound, more detail is allowed to pass through etc.......basically the amps aim is to amplify what it is given without putting its own footprint on it too much....a very difficult task to achieve without spending a bit.......my MF A5 for instance does seem to let bass through a little easier, which isnt a bad thing as my GR10's appreciate that to prevent the treble going overboard......and so long as i feed it a moderately warm source then the sound is astonishing ;)

£800 speakers, £1,500 amp.....some people think you should spend the same amount on each component.....not true, whilst it can help you narrow down options, it doesnt mean you will get the best out of the system overall.....personally i'd say work out your budget max, then find the speakers that appeal to you first......then work out what amp and CD player you need to compliment them with the remainder of the budget......example being if i had a £3k budget and my GR10's are £800, i'd rather spend £1,500 to get quality amping and then blow the rest on the CD player, there are some amazing examples available for around £700......

anyhow....i think i went off on a tagent near the end there..lol....hope i helped answer the question ;)

A

av-phile

Often, when we have a set of speakers well recommended both by friends and online reviews, but are not impressed or happy with it, the easiest culprit to blame is the amp. So we tend to look for better "amplification." 88db isn't that difficult to dirve, that's often the sensitivity specs of many commercial speakers. Almost all commercial speakers can be driven by any moderately powered commercial amps and receivers out there. The one culprit we often fail to do anything about is room accoustics. Some of the finest amps and speakers will sound terrible in an accoustically untreated room. While a modest set-up can sound gorgeous in an accoustically correct room. So before we start aiming for better amplification, I'd suggest we check first if our room acoustics is really up to the job. This may be easier said than done, how do you know if your room accoustics is just right? Unless you have professional testing instruments to check that out, you won't. But often, you'd know something is amiss if you see so many bare reflective surfaces near your speakers - solid wood or marble floors, concrete walls and ceilings, bare furnitures, etc. But room accoustics is really another story well worth learning about in this hobby. Just a thought. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom