Better amp for me then RX-V765

Colonel Burton

Hi all well i've got that upgradge bug thing again lol, anyway been happy with this amp but cant help feeling its missing something in movies like theres no punch to the sound (if that makes sense) see sig for my cinema setup for rest of specs so any suggestions on a replacement ? i was thinking about maybe a pioneer? but no idea really only had yam amps, Well thanks anyway for any and all suggestions

Fiearce

Without a budget the suggestions may not be of any use to you. So, please state your budget.

P.S What's exactly missing from your Yamaha? Do you have any specifics for the new amp?

Last edited:

Colonel Burton

Hi budget max £1500, and no specifics really has what will be suggested (hopefully) should be a better spec then what i have at the minute if we go on budget as for whats missing its cant really explain it it just dont sound dynamic enough a bit on the warm side cant really put me finger on it. Cheers

Nevaborn

Colonel Burton said:
Hi budget max £1500, and no specifics really has what will be suggested (hopefully) should be a better spec then what i have at the minute if we go on budget as for whats missing its cant really explain it it just dont sound dynamic enough a bit on the warm side cant really put me finger on it. Cheers

Hi id suggest not bigger as better mindset but simply a sidestep to maybe a Dennon. As your unhappy with the feel of the sound. This same feel will be present in most of a the range of a manufacturer. So you may find you enjoy the sound far more simply keeping at same price level but a different company.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Currently your amp and speakers are quite well balanced in terms of performance. Your speakers (assuming they are the radius ones) do not really justify spending £1.5k on a receiver and you will not be getting the best from it if you did. As above I wonder if a change of manufacturer may give you what you need. Maybe look at Onkyo as the brighter sound may give you the dynamics you are looking for. Something like the 609 or 616 would be a good option and around the same quality as you currently have.
Are you comparing your other system with this one? Could that be why it dissappoints? Maybe a change of speakers may help?

discover

Hope the OP doesn't mind me chipping in here but a mate of mine has the exact same RX-V765 amp with some Roth floorstanders and allbeit Roth aren't in the same league as the usual big boys, the sound is superb.
Are you sure you have the amp set up correctly?

Colonel Burton

cheers guys for your thoughts this is why i love this place so much ;) the speakers are the radius model and no not comparing it to my lounge system (which i have sold and will be no longer after Friday) so you think it maybe a speaker upgrade rather then an amp upgrade then if so any recommendations? and as for amp being setup correctly as far aware it is even used a sound level meter, cheers for the suggestions

Colonel Burton

ok guys if i was to upgrade speakers what do you think to my selection to go with my current amp

Fronts
Rears
center

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The BX range is around the same level as the radius but being more conventional design they may give slightly better sound. For a true upgrade you should be looking at the RX or Apex ranges although these will cost more.
Have you used the auto setup on the receiver?

Colonel Burton

Hi PSM1, thx for that i'll have a look at those and no I didn't use the auto setup I did when I first got the amp but then went in and changed things manually and some of the auto settings where set wrong i.e distance and size of speakers

Nevaborn

PSM1 said:
The BX range is around the same level as the radius but being more conventional design they may give slightly better sound. For a true upgrade you should be looking at the RX or Apex ranges although these will cost more.
Have you used the auto setup on the receiver?

Agreed. Im looking to get BX2 start of next month.

Have to admit PSM1 you make them sound low end lol. They aint most expensive but i think they hit above their price range.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Agreed. Im looking to get BX2 start of next month.

Have to admit PSM1 you make them sound low end lol. They aint most expensive but i think they hit above their price range.

Do not get me wrong, they are good for the money and I recommend them a lot for people to demo them when looking in this price bracket. I have never been much of a fan of the MA Bronze range myself but I know a lot of people are so they must be worth a listen for anyone looking at speakers in this price. However, they are towards the lower end of the MA range hence there are better speakers around (although they will normally cost more). The OP already has some reasonable speakers in the radius range and they will be comparable sound quality to the BX. Hence for the OP to get a meaningful upgrade in sound they really need to be looking at higher ranges i.e. RX.

jason1wood

I had the MA Radius setup used with my Yamaha Z7 (which is now in the classifieds) and the sound was amazing, I mainly watch movies so I upgraded to M&K speakers which are great for movies but not so for music and the Z7 still sounds great.
I did alot of research before I bought and Yamaha and MA were said to be a great match.

Nevaborn

PSM1 said:
Do not get me wrong, they are good for the money and I recommend them a lot for people to demo them when looking in this price bracket. I have never been much of a fan of the MA Bronze range myself but I know a lot of people are so they must be worth a listen for anyone looking at speakers in this price. However, they are towards the lower end of the MA range hence there are better speakers around (although they will normally cost more). The OP already has some reasonable speakers in the radius range and they will be comparable sound quality to the BX. Hence for the OP to get a meaningful upgrade in sound they really need to be looking at higher ranges i.e. RX.

Granted there are better. Same with anything tbh. I think at the price point you have to look imo at £500+ speakers to be better.

At £250 they cant be beaten.

Sadly my car insurance renewal just came earlier than i thought and more expensive. So yea =(

Colonel Burton

I had the MA Radius setup used with my Yamaha Z7 (which is now in the classifieds) and the sound was amazing, I mainly watch movies so I upgraded to M&K speakers which are great for movies but not so for music and the Z7 still sounds great.
I did alot of research before I bought and Yamaha and MA were said to be a great match.

Hi jason1wood, so if the sound was amazing with the MA Radius setup why did you feel the need to upgrade?

PSM1, the price jump to the RX and Apex is quite err how should i put this quite large lol

discover

The BX sounded great to me but not too sure if it would be worth an upgrade from your current setup.
As stated, why not try and scope down an ex-demo/open box item of the Silver RX range.
It might cost you a little more but atleast you will hear the difference!

Colonel Burton

So these would be ok then minus the sub?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
They would be a great little set without the sub. If you have a lot of space behind the seated location then you may want RX1s all around but if the sofa is close to the rear wall then the RXFX would be ideal.

Colonel Burton

They would be a great little set without the sub. If you have a lot of space behind the seated location then you may want RX1s all around but if the sofa is close to the rear wall then the RXFX would be ideal.

ok cheers for that how much room are we talking from the sofa to the rear wall my cinema room link is in my sig if you haven't noticed it already

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I had not noticed the links so thanks for pointing it out. Looking where the sofa is you would definately benefit from the RXFX rears as they will give a more diffused sound. In fact I would change what you have now for something like the FX speakers now even if you are not going to upgrade the fronts as they should improve the surround experience. Currently your rears look a little low so just moving them up higher may help but moving the higher and changing them to bipole/dipole would be even better. Ideally the rears should be about 30cm above head height when seated.
The RX1s can be a bit fussy with placement and since you will be putting them basically in the corners of the room this could cause boomy bass. Hence you may be better going for the Apex speakers at the front instead. You may be OK with the RX1s but I would demo first if possible to ensure they will work well in your room.
How do you find the sound with the speakers inside the screen width? Normally you would have the front L/R outside of the screen for correct panning of sound and to give a nice wide soundfield.

Colonel Burton

Thanks for the constructive criticism :smashin:, yeah i have already increased the height of my rear speakers to about a foot above the top of the sofa and moved the sofa forward by about 2 foot just forgot to upload new pics :blush: as for the fronts the sound doesn't seem that bad being within the screen width would like to move them further apart but was worried about boomy bass from them, do you think i could go wider with them for now untill i get the replacements? oh and one more thing if I went with the Apex fronts instead of the RX1's could/should i still go with the RXFX ? cheers again

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I would still have the RXFX even if you do get the Apex since the RXFX will be better for your room layout. I would not expect much bass boom from the radius speakers as they do not go very low anyway and they are designed to be mounted on a wall hence will be designed to give less boundary issues. Try them further out and see how they sound.

Colonel Burton

Sorry i didn't make myself clear i meant if I went with the Apex or RX1's at the front would i have bass boom problems if i set them nearer the corners? or is it just a matter of suck it and see? cheers for your help

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The Apex are designed to be mounted on a wall so should have less bass boom issues with them. There are a few threads on here about the RX1s being boomy when near even a rear wall which is why I suggested not getting them for your fronts. Hence I would expect that there may be issues with the RX1s.

Colonel Burton

ok again cheers for that

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom