• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Better alternatives for the same price?

If it's to be used for all home audio should I go for home theatre set or soundbar?

• Soundbar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

judedog

Novice Member
I have just ordered a 50inch 4k Samsung smart TV and found the Samsung home theatre system htj7500w for sale at £299 with one retailer. Immediately jumped at that price and ordered one. Now that I have had 24 hours to think about it I wonder if I could do any better for the same price. Whatever I buy will probably be replacing an old Yamaha amp and Jamo speakers for the music side of things as well as the obvious TV side of things. Happy to consider sound bars as well as home theatre systems. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It all depends on your priorities!

Like pretty much all 'all-in-one' systems the Samsung is very short on connectivity so you need to ensure it will cater for whatever Source devices you have.

How well it performs is down to how suitable it is for your Room and Room Layout?

What is the kit you are replacing and what are your expectations of a new system?

Joe

judedog

Novice Member
Thanks for replies. Spec for the samsung set up sounds better on paper than the pioneer. 1000w and includes a 3d upscaling bluray player which has a valve amp, also has bluetooth and wireless surround speakers. I don't currently have any home theatre kit at all so this is a first venture into that territory. Kit I have to connect other than the tv is a cocktail audio x10, apple tv, and will play music from tablet and phone on occasion. What I hope for is a set up that will give good immersive sound on tv/film and be able to play music to roughly the same standard as my current amp and speakers. Amp is Yamaha about 10 years old , speakers are Jamo bookshelf types about 20 years old (sorry dont have models at this moment) and also have a couple of JVC jobs with metal dome tweeters to improve the top end from a mini system that perished. Room is quite small - 3m x 5m with tv and sofa facing each other across the shorter distance but slightly off set. Tv is in a corner but with back to the wall not the corner if you see what I mean.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
First of ignore the 1000W claim as it is a load of rubbish and your current Yamaha amp will probably put more 'real' power out per channel than the Samsung. The Pioneer system mentioned above is a system based around an AVR (Richer Sounds also do this which will be better than the Samsung Sony STRDH550 & Tannoy SFX5.1 | 5.1 Package System excluding DVD Player | Richer Sounds)
An AVR based system will give you better sound quality, better connectivity and easier/cheaper to replace upgrade in the future.
However, even the AVR based systems may disappoint on the music side since they all use budget sub/satellite speaker systems which are not known for being great with music. Depending on your expectations you may find you old stereo amp and standmount speakers are still better (you need to spend 3 to 4 times the price of a stereo system on an AVR to match music quality).

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I've just read this properly. Was half asleep this morning...

I'd be interested to know what you think of the bluray player when you get a chance. It's an odd combination to add tubes to such a device (first I've heard of it anyway).

judedog

Novice Member
Consensus seems to be that I might be better off keeping my existing set up for the music side, which is kind of what I thought but wasn't sure. Might take a chance on the samsung system anyway and see what its like, although richer sounds do have a good offer on a yamaha set up right now... Still got a few days to think about it! The few reviews I found seem to be positive on the whole. If it ends up being a bit crap hopefully I can sell it on and try again. For those that might be intetested they also do a sound bar with a valve amp built into it (hwh750) but that was a bit over my budget. I'll try to remember to come back and let you know what I think if I end up going for it.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Samsung are using a Valve in the Pre-amp stage of these units with a digital amp driving the loudspeakers.

Brilliant bit of marketing!

Joe

gordon115

Established Member
Jude dog,where have you found this system at only £299?
I'm after a new system and this looks ideal

judedog

Novice Member
It was on Sonic Direct but last time I went back it was no longer available. I have had to cancel my order anyway, bit gutted cos I would have liked to have found out what it was like. Leak in the roof means money has to be spent elsewhere unfortunately. Still no sign of the new TV yet anyway, Currys still saying 2-4 weeks for delivery so no great loss at the moment. I'll have another look once the TV is here.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Even at £299 I would prefer to get an AVR based system for the same money which I am pretty sure will beat the Samsung hands down for sound quality etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom