Better 360 D-Pad

nerro

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so with Soul Calibur 4, SF2T HD Remix and Street Fighter 4 on the horizon i'm trying to find a controller for the 360 with a better D-Pad.
I recently got DOA4 and tried to play with the official controller and it was terrible.

So does anyone know of any controllers that are better for use with fighters? I don't mind if they are 3rd party or wired/wireless. It will only be used when playing fighting games.

Thanks for any replies. :smashin:

why not get a dedicated fighting stick, sounds like you are into your fighting games quite a bit so might be worth a check.

I've tried fighting sticks in the past but found it quite annoying as they were quite light and i found myself lifting them off the table when i used them. The suction pads on the bottom are pretty useless as well.

Can't view the link, stupid work firewall. :mad:

I'll check the link tonight.

By you recommending arcade sticks should I assume that a controller with a decent D-Pad doesn't exist for the 360?

By you recommending arcade sticks should I assume that a controller with a decent D-Pad doesn't exist for the 360?

I'm not sure mate, I havent used any 3rd party pads or heard much about them. I always stick to the official stuff as the quality is far superior.

There is a mod kicking around to make the standard 360 d-pad better though...

http://www.ufighterx.com/guides/videogame/360dpadfix/360dpadfix.htm

Also, if you Google "xbox 360 d-pad mod" then there's loads of other links, inlcuding YouTube vids (which I cant watch as I'm at work too).

The virtua fighter stick looks pretty good, i'll do a bit more searching but if I can't find anything else i'll go for that.

The mod looks interesting but with, my poor diy skills i'll probably make it worse.:(

Thanks for the replies guys

I did the dpad mod, and when it comes to fighters it does'nt really help, maybe dashing left is a little easier but thats about it. The 360 dpad is simply a crap design and there is no way around it unless MS redesign the damn thing.

There is a Hori pad thats suppose to be decent but I don't trust 3rd party pads at all, and because MS is being awkward with 3rd party licensing we won't be seeing many other pads coming out either. The only arcade stick the on the 360 is a Hori one, suppose to be ok but not great.

I own a hori ex2 (the virtua fighter one) and it is a god stick, its a good weight the actually stick is a sanwa I believe and although I have heard people complain they are not arcade top quality, the buttons are actually really good and it easily beats a pad (hands down :cool: ). Your game will improve a fair bit but they are hard to track down, amazon had them in cheap so they are your best bet.
note: Obviously this controller also works on a pc and with a driver change it makes mame awsome :thumbsup:.
dscf0238fv5.jpg

I own a hori ex2 (the virtua fighter one) and it is a god stick, its a good weight the actually stick is a sanwa I believe and although I have heard people complain they are not arcade top quality, the buttons are actually really good and it easily beats a pad (hands down :cool: ). Your game will improve a fair bit but they are hard to track down, amazon had them in cheap so they are your best bet.
note: Obviously this controller also works on a pc and with a driver change it makes mame awsome :thumbsup:.
dscf0238fv5.jpg

believe this man, his taste in wallpaper should in no way sway you decision :rotfl:

The EX2 Virtua Fighter 5 stick by Hori is pretty rubbish really, I know its gone down in price a bit now, saw it for £30 on amazon a month or so ago...

But its just not very good, no micro switches on the buttons, not very clicky at all, doesn't really feel that arcadey...

But to answer the OP. There is no pad available on the 360 with a good D-pad, the madcatz wired controllers are equally pants (actually they aren't quite as bad but still awful...I mean NOTHING could be as bad as an official ms controller for the 360)

The bright green MS wireless controller is supposed to have an improved D-pad. I went to buy one at a local Game store - the manager said don't bother as they aren't much better. Must be true - can't imagine he'd talk someone out of a sale for no reason.

So avoid the green controller if you are expecting great things from the D-pad. But if you like the colour then go ahead ;)

Simon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom