BeThere and Exchange Distances

XtremeDJW

Standard Member
Reaction score
So as I was thinking of changing over to Be, I thought I'd best check to see what speeds they think I would reach in relation to my distance from the exchange.

They are saying that I am 4.3 miles away and would therfore only get download speeds of an estimated 2Mbps, upload speeds aren't even worth mentioning.

Has anyone on here had a estimate of about the same but are reaching much better speeds? Be insist that this is just an estimate but I don't want to risk changing provider for just 2Mbps.

If you already have an existing ADSL service running, use links 2 & 3 in my sig to get a more accurate estimate based on your actual line conditions. Or post your line stats back here.

"You are around 2.97 kilometres from your exchange (as the crow flies)."

Not sure what they use wether it's straight distance or line distance...

With this I get not much over 512k download and just under 1mb download, yes more upload than I get download...

I get faster speeds with Be* than I did previously with Nildram and the connection is a lot more stable.
Line attenuation etc is quite high though, talking around the 50db mark.
Not sure if it's mostly a distance thing (took us long enough to even get adsl here cause of 'distance') or just quality of the lines around this area (they are old and really bad - what the bt engineer who came to rip the DACS out said when we first got ADSL)

"You are around 2.97 kilometres from your exchange (as the crow flies)."

Not sure what they use wether it's straight distance or line distance...

It's as the crow flies, not the length of the line which can take a very different route to a crow - which would tend to fly in a straight line from A to B.

Have you ensured that your Internal Wiring is OK? Many threads on these forums on how to.

If you are really 4.3 miles aka almost 7km for your local exchange then you will really be struggling.

Its unlikely your service will even see the higher frequencies of ADSL2+ and your annex will be automatically set to ADSL2.

Who is your current provider and what service do you currently subscribe to? Based on that service, what speeds do you currently get?

I'm with Virgin Cable on their 4mb service (they have not gor round to updating my area to the 10mb service yet.)

I reach the 4mb speed quite easily and the service is brilliant however its the throttling that annoys me as I want the service I'm paying for.

I want Be for the unlimited downloads.

Yeah I have heard a lot about the throttling which Virgin inpose during peak times, ridiculous in my opinion. Totally oversubscribed service not like back in the day with NTL.

Anyways, that doesn't help me as its a cable service.

Very difficult to know what you will achieve with BE but they will give you the best speeds your line can achieve without any capping.

Their BE value up to 8meg package is just £8 per month until the end of the year which is good value to see what you can get but I must point out its a minimum 1 year contract on the value package.

It's as the crow flies, not the length of the line which can take a very different route to a crow - which would tend to fly in a straight line from A to B.

Have you ensured that your Internal Wiring is OK? Many threads on these forums on how to.

Its just the village i live in has such terrible lines, most of the village was/is still on DACS line sharing, when anyone gets ADSL here BT have to send an engineer out to put in a new line cause obviously you can't run ADSL over a line with DACS.

So basically everywhere around here has awful cabling.
Even Milton Keynes itself is renowned for its awful cabling etc.

Yeah I have heard a lot about the throttling which Virgin inpose during peak times, ridiculous in my opinion. Totally oversubscribed service not like back in the day with NTL.

Anyways, that doesn't help me as its a cable service.

Very difficult to know what you will achieve with BE but they will give you the best speeds your line can achieve without any capping.

Their BE value up to 8meg package is just £8 per month until the end of the year which is good value to see what you can get but I must point out its a minimum 1 year contract on the value package.

It was Blueyonder, not NTL with me. Blueyonder were Superb!

I was thinking about the BE Value service, its' just whether I should choose between a slow speed with unlimited downloads or the opposite.

That's the bonus of BE Unlimited though, as it is only a 3 months contract if I don't like it but once again, its just the hassle involved.

As was NTL. The previous poster was saying they had NTL whereas I had Blueyonder.

Its just the village i live in has such terrible lines, most of the village was/is still on DACS line sharing, when anyone gets ADSL here BT have to send an engineer out to put in a new line cause obviously you can't run ADSL over a line with DACS.

So basically everywhere around here has awful cabling.
Even Milton Keynes itself is renowned for its awful cabling etc.

If Openreach are replacing DACS with new lines, the lines that they put it will be very good. I suspect, however that they may be long.

When Milton Keynes was cabled it was considered, at the time, to be very high-tech. However, lacking crystal balls, the installers did not know about ADSL.

@ XtremeDJW

What do you get when putting your post code into this checker?

DSL ZoneUK - Distance to exchange

"You are around 2.38 kilometres from your exchange (as the crow flies)."

I've just checked the ASDL24 which says I could reach speeds of upto 4mbps, I've just emailed o2 to ask them what speeds I could get, although I know they rent from Be.

Would be very surprised if the actual line length was triple that of the straight line length.

Perhaps the 4.3 miles quoted by BE was actual kilometers?

Another call to BE might be worthwhile too and see what they say this time?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom