Beth Gibbons (Portishead)

kwijibo

Standard Member
Been listening all day to this new album. Fantastic! Like Portishead but different enough not to be a clone of her previous work. Anyone else got it yet?

SOUNDSTYLE

I thought she was a bit droney.

S

Squirrel God

Just had a listen. I love Portishead - pure class. Sadly, on first listen, this is severly lacking in something. Might grow on me though... That's happened before...

gringottsdirect

Saw her on Jools too, Tom The Model, Mysteries.
Sounds like she's been listening to Tom Waits, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, love the accordian.
It does grow on you.

Wilf

Have to agree that this album is fantastic. Track 3, show, is hauntingly beautiful. If your expecting triphop beats and cutting and a scratching your going to be disapointed

karkus30

Banned
Originally posted by Wilf
Have to agree that this album is fantastic. Track 3, show, is hauntingly beautiful. If your expecting triphop beats and cutting and a scratching your going to be disapointed

very classy album, bit like mercury rev in that respect. Its not my usual taste, but I prefer it to the Norah Jones type stuff ( good though it is ).

Lex

What has happened to Portishead then? Have they split up? They haven't had an album out for years now. :( I used to really love em.

S

Smith

I have had the Portishead album in my Subaru for a while now and i love it.......i might buy this new one if people say its good.

Wilf

try a bit on-line first. This is definately not a new Portishead album. Its good stuff though. I played it to a friend of mine the other day and he thought it was a tribute album to artists like Ella Fitzgerald and other which i have forgoten:blush:

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom