Betelgeuse Star.

• Thread starter Deleted member 695993
  • Start date

Deleted member 695993

Reaction score
It would be very cool to see that in our lifetime.
Indeed! So if it exploded, it would take 642.5 light years for us to see it?

When? Sometime in the next 100,000 years. In cosmic terms, that’s any second now …
Wishing you clear skies and wide eyes.

:p

Yes but presumably it has already happened as we are seeing the light from light years ago as it is? So if it went nova 642.5 light years ago tomorrow then we would see it tomorrow??

Yes but presumably it has already happened as we are seeing the light from light years ago as it is? So if it went nova 642.5 light years ago tomorrow then we would see it tomorrow??
Mind blowing! I need a book to explain astronomy to me. With things in it such as speed of light and light years etc. Astronomy For Dummies maybe?

Mind blowing! I need a book to explain astronomy to me. With things in it such as speed of light and light years etc. Astronomy For Dummies maybe?

I am not 100% sure I am right, it is mind boggling!

It's the, "It's already happened" part that always gets me. The thought of seeing something that isn't actually there anymore takes me on an Inception mind trip every time!

It's the, "It's already happened" part that always gets me. The thought of seeing something that isn't actually there anymore takes me on an Inception mind trip every time!
"The nearest large galaxy to us, Andromeda, is 2.5 million light-years away. So, we see Andromeda as it was 2.5 million years in the past."

We are now seeing the star as it was about 1370 AD.
😯🌏
"Its distance from us is somewhere in the region of 650 light years, meaning the light reaching us today began its journey from the star in around A.D 1370, but for a star to explode and cause the Earth damage, it would need to be much closer, more like 300 light years from us before any noticeable change would affect us."

And people still think that aliens should now be knocking at our doors, even if they are way more advanced than us making contact with earth is no easy task at all given the vast distances.

If we headed towards Betelgeuse in the space shuttle Discovery which travels at about 18,000mph, it would take us 24,180,000 years to get there.

If we headed towards the star in the space shuttle Discovery which travels at about 18,000mph it would take us 24,180,000 years to get there.
😯👍🌏

It's a bit like letting rip on an enormous fart.
You hear the sound, pretty quick as that travels around 760 mph, which from your bum to ear takes a fraction of a second.
But then there is a potential delay, long enough for your mind to ponder the outcome.
As the speed of smell, is such that you are smelling it, some time after it actually happened.

So really the farts are smells from the past.

It's a bit like letting rip on an enormous fart.
You hear the sound, pretty quick as that travels around 760 mph, which from your bum to ear takes a fraction of a second.
But then there is a potential delay, long enough for your mind to ponder the outcome.
As the speed of smell, is such that you are smelling it, some time after it actually happened.

So really the farts are smells from the past.

But what if you follow through.....

You see the sun as it was 8 minutes ago. It takes 8 minutes for light from the sun to reach us. Light from the moon is just over a second.

^^^^ This is what I'm talking about. It's insane!! :laugh:

I need some more rum....
It is indeed insane!

If I had been good at maths and remotely academic, I'd loved to have done astrophysics or something like that as it fascinates me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom