• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

BetaMax VOIP providers - Voipcheap, stunt, etc not giving out numbers...

sideysid

I have just signed up with VOIPCheap, and deposited £10. But I have since learnt that in July Betamax who owns all these voip providers has stopped giving out inbound numbers with new accounts, (and also those whos credit expires).

As I have already deposited £10, now Im a bit stuck, as I was planning on using this as my main number, via the voip port on my Draytek 2100Vg broadband router.

As I only have one voip port, is it possible to split; ie sipgate (0207 no) as my incoming and voipcheap as my outgoing?

Or if not, and I use Sipgate s my in/out, can I use up the voipcheap credit by using my pc through their application while sipgate is set up as the main account?

Thanks!

L

lg2k6

Beware of VoipCheap! They charge on the called party, when you call a so-called 'free' landline number.

P

PhoboX

lg2k6 said:
Beware of VoipCheap! They charge on the called party, when you call a so-called 'free' landline number.

I use VoipCheap to call landlines, do you mean they charge the person Im calling instead of myself? I'd like a little more info on this if possible, and how you know about it.. quite concerning. Thanks in advance.

L

lg2k6

PhoboX said:
I use VoipCheap to call landlines, do you mean they charge the person Im calling instead of myself? I'd like a little more info on this if possible, and how you know about it.. quite concerning. Thanks in advance.

Yes, they charge on the person you are calling. I used to call my family over VoipCheap, and guess what... the landline bill was a big surprise ;(
A premium-rate number appeared on the bill, even though, they haven't called any premium-rate number.

Cable Monkey

lg2k6 said:
Yes, they charge on the person you are calling. I used to call my family over VoipCheap, and guess what... the landline bill was a big surprise ;(
A premium-rate number appeared on the bill, even though, they haven't called any premium-rate number.

Can you pm me the premium rate number in question? I seriously doubt the 2 are connected but let me take a look.

D

Deleted member 27989

lg2k6 said:

Sorry but that is impossible! You can't get charged for being called on a landline number....If that was possible there would be loads of scams....All you have to do is have an automatic dialler and you make a fortune....Sorry but those two aren't related, you better admit that you have been dialling those naughty numbers :D

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
ISTR you used to be charged for receiving cellphone calls in the old days of analogue cellular.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

D

Deleted member 27989

I gave many to the salesforce of a large company, granted not in the UK, but in my Terratory (Benelux, Scandanavia, Iceland and Portugal) and had one of those Motorola with battery packs myself....They definitely did not cause a charge for the receiver of such phone calls...Heck if it did most sales organisations would have been very rudely been told where to shuff their business.....

There may have been special pricing structures to pre-defined numbers, but not to unsuspecting receivers of phonecalls......

Cable Monkey

Thats why I asked for a sample number. It would be easy to find out who owned it.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom