Question Besta unit cooling info

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by Carnagerover, Nov 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Hi all,

I haven't put the doors on yet but as you can see my amp is in the middle, at the back of it there is a big cutout already so I am hoping that will be enough when the door is on for the hot air to escape.

Where the PlayStation 4 pro is there are small cutouts in the top left and right but basically the PlayStation 4 is blasting hot air back onto itself. Do you think I will get away with drilling two round holes where the PS4 exhausts so that the hot air has an escape. I don't mind having the door open when I am playing on the PS4.

I know that you can put fans in to exhaust the hot air but you have to faff about with 3 pin adapters and the like and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do it without getting expensive fast.

If the PS4 pro can exhaust it's hot air out of the back is there any need for a fan as well?

My amp is the Denim X2300W, how hot is too hot?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. ben16v

ben16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    if you are looking at fan systems - have a look at the ac infinity units, i use a 3 fan and a 2 fan along with the temperature controller and it keeps my kit nice and cool - the guys are great to deal with too (i messaged through amazon)

3. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I cut out a hole for the PS4 pro at the back of the unit so basically the exhaust of the PS4 sits right in front and blow all the hot air out of the unit.

I have tested the Denon and it gets warm to the touch without cooling, you can leave your hand there but it is warm. I placed a PC fan in as a test exhaust and it did cool the unit down to just warm. However I'm sure sure whether I will keep the fan in there.

I'm assuming the Denon would turn off if it got too hot?

4. ben16v

ben16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    i have the denon 4300 in an open unit but with only 10mm above the amp and the 2 fan ac infinity above the heat sinks in the amp then the 3 fan on the back of the unit to pull the air out and cool sky and ps4 as an extra bonus, the temp probe is directly above the unit and set at 30c on smart this keeps the fans on speed 2/3.
    i did a re calibration the other day and turned the fans off for silent sake (as they are are audible when they kick up to speed 3/3 but is negligible when watching tv) i forgot to turn them back on after and the temp probe was showing 59deg c and the amp didnt turn off but as soon as i put it back on smart mode the temp was back down within 5 mins

5. SWAVGuy

SWAVGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Just fitted a T9 cooler and matching ac fan into the back of the cabinet to draw the hot air out. Wanted the t8 but theirs no stock in the uk, the t8 has a rear vent where as the T9 is top vent. Happy now, silent with doors on and doesn't go above 30c :) my besta is spot on now.

IMG_5957.JPG

6. jep

jep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    I went for holes in the back panel for both air flow and cables, but then added 2 pairs of ac infinity fans (1 pair for my pro and the other for avr) in both sides of the frame, with 1 side as intake as 1 as exhaust.
    20170820_194739.jpg
    20170907_232803.jpg
    20170907_232826.jpg

7. ben16v

ben16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    how did you make the fans an intake with the grill to the outside? is it possible to reverse them?

8. jep

jep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Yeah, you remove the fan (just 4 screws I think from memory) from its housing and turn it around. There are instructions in the box, which show you how to do it. Relocating the cable out of the internal chassis was the hardest part.

9. jep

jep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
  10. jep

jep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
  11. INXS

INXS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Just installed these little cuties to the back of my IKEA BESTA unit, as I have glazed doors on the front and my amp (see below) was starting to get QUITE warm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NVC1DS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I integrated a little bit of science and swapped the grill round on one of them before installing so now (with both grills on the outside) one sucks air in and one blows air out. The idea being that there's a quicker circulation of air.

I was wondering if anyone thinks I'd be better off with both blowing the warm air out?
    fans.jpg

12. ben16v

ben16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    i would think it would be best to have both on extract unless you can distance them as some air will be pulled through from the front doors, something like low at front and high at back so cool air is sucked through the components. i take it they are on all the time the usb its plugged into is on - pretty cheap for two fans, i wonder is they would co-operate with the ac infinity controller as they have piggy back usbs

13. INXS

INXS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Yup, turned around the sucky-in fan so it was blowy-out, like the other one.

Works a treat, the AV Amp stays as cool as a cucumber!

There are enough holes/gaps in the back of the BESTA unit to satisfy the 'air-in' issue, so all sorted.

Shame the Sony doesn't have a USB port at the back (to power the fans), so to avoid scrabbling round for plugs and adaptors at the rear, I bought this switch and stuck it to the back. Lovely!

14. Bill Shenefelt

Bill Shenefelt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check out one of these controllers for separate fans. They come in both single and multiple probe models. Controls temperature and lets you see what it is! CONTROLLER 2, Intelligent Thermal Fan Controller, Single Zone
    The single probe unit has two usb power ports on the back that it controls. It is similar to the controller on the "T" units AC infinity sells. It shows desired temperature, max temperature before alarm and current temperature (degrees in F or C selectable). For it to set multiple speeds based on temperature sensed it works with many of the companies small box fans and blowers.
    They have a new T unit with a front exhaust (Sits on top of component and draws straight up from the top of the component and exhausts out the front. (For those with a rear closed cabinet). I bought two T8 units, one to cool my Anthem 1120 and one to help cool my Oppo 205. One feature I really like about the T8 (and I assume all T units) is that if no cooling is required, the fan speed goes to 0 meaning that so I do not bother turning it off. I bought two small blowers which exhaust out the side to cool my other equipment and have them connected to one of these controller units. Most run on speed one or two and rarely go higher to maintain my equipment at 85 degrees. I cannot hear the fans at these speeds from 14 ft away at my seat. Up at the cabinet, I don't hear speed one and only hear speed two faintly. Speed 3 is audible there but not obvious at my seat even with the audio muted.

15. RobTi

RobTi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Take it you had to buy the acinfinity from the USA, as amazon uk still not stocking them

16. Bill Shenefelt

Bill Shenefelt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the USA maybe check with infinity and see if they (separate from Amazon) sell in the UK

17. Bill Shenefelt

Bill Shenefelt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try contacting infinity at : Contact Us
    I am in the us.

18. ben16v

ben16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    didnt realise they were no longer available - i paid £80 for my T9 with temp sensor and controller and £35 for my S7 march last year.

19. RobTi

RobTi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Not been on amazon uk for a while now and contacted them but no sellers in the uk and p&p is just too much from USA

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  20. dhokes

dhokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hmm, regarding modifying the back panel and cutting it, would a circular drill bit be okay? Is it straight forward or could the back panel 'split'? Any tips?

21. anlygi

anlygi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I only have a 120cm two-section Besta, but I put a USB powered 120mm extraction fan in the side of mine to exhaust heat. I also put an 80mm intake fan on the other side to provide cool air to my PS4 Pro intake, with a cut out the width of the PS4 on the back for it to exhaust.

I was looking for the AC Infinity fans but they were difficult to source and very expensive for what they are.

I used these:

120mm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELUTENG-3-...ds=eluteng&dpPl=1&dpID=51IrYiP5a9L&ref=plSrch

80mm
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELUTENG-Co...ds=eluteng&dpPl=1&dpID=515IbRNCBRL&ref=plSrch

Fan grills

The 80mm is significantly noisier than the 120mm. Thankfully I used a 120mm grill so I'll probably swap it out for a 120mm fan. All-in I paid about £25. The 120mm is barely audible on low setting when a movie is quiet and plugged into the front of the AVR so goes on and off with it. Used a downward USB extension to tidy it up.

90 Degree Various Angles USB 2.0 Type A Male to Female Extension Cable Cord Lead | eBay

IMG_20181105_102926.jpg IMG_20181105_103137.jpg IMG_20181105_103039.jpg IMG_20181105_103018.jpg

22. RobTi

RobTi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    How did you connect the usb’s Together and are they both able to run full from the usb supply?

23. anlygi

anlygi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    They are wired independently. I have one into my AVR and the other into the rear port of my PS4 Pro. The same brand also sell two fans, 80mm or 120mm, into one USB plug but they don't have inline speed control so run flat out all of the time I imagine. I don't always use the AVR for the PS4 as most of my gaming sessions are late at night when the children are in bed, so I wanted them to come on independently.

The 120mm is very quiet on low, and even then I'd say the noise is coming from lack of damping on the Besta rather than the fan itself. I just put 4 screws right through to hold the fan grills and fan. The low setting is all I use as it's's sufficient for the space. The AVR is cool to touch and I can feel hot air blow out the side when watching a movie at a decent volume.

Dual 120mm

24. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,322
    I have a 120cm Besta.
    Thought about the fan route, but gave up on it
    I have holes in the bottom of the cabinet and the shelves. Have also took the back off. Been sturdy enough for the last 18months and no sign of colapse
    Admittedly it's not overloaded with kit. Amp , Xbox, youview, SkyHD, harmony hub, miihome hub and tado hub