Besta hack

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by jep, Aug 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jep

jep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Hi all,

After getting recommendations in gen chat for besta cabinets, I'm looking at getting the 60x64x40 size display with glass shelves and glass door (when in stock). As a quick easy hack, I'm thinking of cutting holes in the back panel for cables and for natural ventilation. How much will it affect the stability of the unit (unit will be freestanding and a single unit)? Will hole shapes make any difference as unsure on circles or rectangles. Was thinking of holes similar to those below such that the equipment will hide the holes.

As a secondary hack I want to replace the side panels with a solid timber frame with gaps in like this. hifiv3 front.png hifiv3back.png What do people think? Would it be solid enough?

Also looking at installing some LED tape behind the door around all 4 sides of the frame. Anyone know if you can run multiple strips (in parallel not in series) on a single psu and controller? Also any recommendations?

Cheers

2. jep

jep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Got the unit and proceeded to put holes in the back. Theres a bit of sway but guessing thats just standard ikea furniture movement.
    20170820_194739.jpg
    Going to see how temps are before thinking of replacing side panels or adding fans.

3. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,050
    You've made a neat job of those holes, nice.

Might attempt something similar myself, but the Besta (along with many others) isn't deep enough for my receiver :(

4. jep

jep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Ta @Roohster it could have been a bit neater, as some are a bit rough (blunt hole cutter) and had to sand them to clean them up.

Thinking of putting some ac infinity fans in the sides as it gets hot around my ps4pro as small shelf sits just above the rear of it.

Edit: not as neat now as had to key hole one of the holes as lowered the shelves to give more space for ps4. At least its hidden. Would have needed to lower them if i get some fans anyway.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017