BESTA go big or go home!

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
I've finally got to the stage where my wall can no longer take any more IKEA BESTA cabinets! The "floating" section above the TV (installed last night / this morning with a hand from my little bro) finally completes my collection (/obsession?).

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

(BESTA geeks - notice anything interesting about the unit above the TV? :) )

I've been collecting BESTA since 2006 when I first bought some BESTA cabinets with TOMBO doors. A few years ago I swapped to SELSVIKEN doors as I could no longer get TOMBO and they didn't come up often enough on eBay to deal with my designs on world domination 60x64cm at a time... :)

AV-wise; it isn't that exciting to be fair. An old Sony 40" LCD, and the last of my XTZ speakers (Spirit 6 x3). Some Onkyo clone TEAC AVR which is on its last legs. Mostly used for watching kids TV on AppleTV, and a bit of casual viewing. Waiting for the 48" OLEDs to start shipping then might upgrade to one of them - or maybe a Samsung FrameTV with white bezel, not sure. As I built a soundproofed dedicated room a couple of years ago I've now even sold the sub that I was using up here and just removed the port bungs on the XTZ LCR units. The work nicely and fit the decor a treat. Lighting in the room is Rako. Might look to add some feature lighting to the TV recess at some point.

This is where the addiction all started in 2006! Those cabinets are still in use. it has been interesting seeing how the cabinets have evolved over 14 years of cost engineering; they still look almost the same but were a fair bit heftier when originally released. Credit to IKEA though, they've held their own and I really couldn't recommend anything better if you're looking for some reasonably economical stylish storage for your space.

Just totted it up; this little lot as a job lot would set you back around £1700 including hinges and shelves (plus miscellaneous bits of timber and hardware to hold it all to the wall); I've built it up in probably £300-£500 chunks.

DSC00084#1.JPG

A few other historic pics in the evolution over the last 14 years...

DSC06338.jpg
P1020717.jpg
DSC_1301.JPG
DSC_2815.JPG
DSC_3561.JPG

Last edited:

Inked

Distinguished Member
I've finally got to the stage where my wall can no longer take any more IKEA BESTA cabinets! The "floating" section above the TV (installed last night / this morning with a hand from my little bro) finally completes my collection (/obsession?).

View attachment 1246986
View attachment 1246987

(BESTA geeks - notice anything interesting about the unit above the TV? :) )
Looks great!

Fitted upside down for a cleaner look?

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
Looks great!
Thanks :) . The wall has got better and better over time as we've moved the room and rest of the furniture around. Now it is a real feature, giving a ton of storage while only losing 43cm of depth along that wall - (with a lot of the space going down into the eaves anyway). Really pleased with it.
Fitted upside down for a cleaner look?
Got it :). I disliked the idea of having 3 individual splits from 60cm wide units, and the single TV unit has both a load of feet holes and an open scallop at the rear middle of the unit which I think is for cables and the optional TV bracket. The top side is clean and has a pop in plastic cover for the cable / bracket cutout. Mounting it upside down just means inserting the back panels upside down, and not fitting the little plastic trim for the bottom cutout (it fouls on the back panel when flipped).

The 180x64 TV unit isn't strictly supposed to be wall mounted according to IKEA - they only provide two wall mount brackets to give tip-over protection. I'm not sure why - the unit doesn't weigh much more; perhaps it's because of the amount they assume you might stick in it due to the extra size.

However the 180x38 unit is allowed to be wall mounted and comes with 4x of the same wall brackets. As I hadn't used those wall brackets on the 180x38 unit below as the units either side are fixed to the wall, I modified the 180x64 cabinet backs to have cutouts for 6 brackets, and used them to mount through to the wall with some very substantial Fischer anchors. With a tiny bit of "intentional - honest!" mis-alignment of the floor mounted 60x128 unit I've also got some purchase for the carcass end in case the wall fails... :)

DSC_0037 (2).JPGDSC_0038 (1).JPG

I will say that I'm only using mine to hold BD and DVD's towards the back of the cabinet though and not supporting the weight of a TV etc, anyone else choosing to wall mount the 180x64 unit should consider for themselves whether they're happy the result will be robust with the load they're carrying and the wall they're installing to, given it is clearly a use IKEA weren't advocating.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom