best zoom lens for canon 400d

basser

Banned
hello everyone,after reading this forum ,i decided to buy my wife a canon 400d due to the great reports it gets on this forum.she has noticed there is very limited zoom on the lens supplied and would like to know of a good zoom lens /price/where to buy from ....any help would be appreciated

Astaroth

What sort of budget are you looking at? What sort of level of zoom does she want/ what sort of pictures will it be used for?

For zoom work I very much favour my Canon 70-300 IS lens which you can get for around the £400 mark

Down from that there is the likes of the Sigma 70-300 APO DG that is about £175

Going in the other direction there is the likes of the canon 100-400 L IS for about £1k

I find that for a zoom lens you really want to be looking at 300mm as a minimum at the top end - frequently I use mine at this length and to be honest at times would prefer it to be longer still though of cause there is the option of the multiplier things (cant remember their proper name of the top of my head) to give the extra reach

Mark123

Novice Member
Down from that there is the likes of the Sigma 70-300 APO DG that is about £175
If you go for this - make sure you get the APO version as Astaroth mentioned - there is a non APO version that is cheaper but quality is not as good.

there is the option of the multiplier things (cant remember their proper name of the top of my head) to give the extra reach
Extender

basser

Banned
thanx for the help....looks like im buying the Sigma 70-300 APO DG as thats as far as i can afford right now....:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:in fact just got one off ebay brand new £98 inc delivery...thanks again mark and astra

beachy

thanx for the help....looks like im buying the Sigma 70-300 APO DG as thats as far as i can afford right now....:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:in fact just got one off ebay brand new £98 inc delivery...thanks again mark and astra
you got a bargin there mate if it was brand new, i just got one from one stop digital for £120 and i thought that was good for the price, great budget len,s though, only thing a bit noisey when zooming, sounds like a tank going over a sand dune :D heres's one from today taken with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom