Best Xbox 360 Output for LCD monitor

G

GambitSnax

I've recently purchased a 22" LCD monitor and wanted to plug my 360 through it. I was wondering which of the following two options would give me the best picture -

1. Using the Xbox 360 VGA cable and plugging it into the d-sub port, or
2. Plugging the component cables into a DVI-I converter and then hooking that straight to the monitor.

I understand that DVI is generally the better picture, but is some quality lost using the converter?

Any suggestions would be great.
Cheers.

I've recently purchased a 22" LCD monitor and wanted to plug my 360 through it. I was wondering which of the following two options would give me the best picture -

1. Using the Xbox 360 VGA cable and plugging it into the d-sub port, or
2. Plugging the component cables into a DVI-I converter and then hooking that straight to the monitor.

I understand that DVI is generally the better picture, but is some quality lost using the converter?

Any suggestions would be great.
Cheers.

Option 1, by far. using component is generally a no-no anyway, spending £40+ on a converter will still give you the blurryness of component (not to mention VGA gives you several resolution options).

G

GambitSnax

Thanks for the fast response. Another quick question, the default resolution for my screen is 1680x1050, which is a 16:10 ratio. I take it the xbox outputs the image at a 16:9 ratio? Are there any steps i can take to help reduce the stretch I will be getting with the image?

Are there any steps i can take to help reduce the stretch I will be getting with the image?

The only thing you could do is increase the clock frequency in the LCD menu, this will result in you losing a little bit of the picture (as it re-stretches it sideways), but it will help fix the aspect, and you won't be losing any more picture than you would with general overscan anyway.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
using component is generally a no-no anyway
It is? There are just as many people who prefer component as there are who prefer VGA.

But to answer the OP, got straight with VGA.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Option 1, by far. using component is generally a no-no anyway, spending £40+ on a converter will still give you the blurryness of component (not to mention VGA gives you several resolution options).

I have to disagree with that. I see no blurryness with component and find it better then VGA. Having said that HDMI is better then both VGA and component at least on my display in my opinion.

Howver the OP would be better of going with VGA rather then trying to convert the component in to DVI using an adapter.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom