1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best & Worst trailers!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Oct 20, 2000.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    This idea came from the Jurassic Park thread, where several people stated that the JP3 trailer was one of the worst ever! I agreed, and for those of you who haven't seen it, you're missing absolute bugger-all!

Thus the idea for this thread started. We can all name our fave films, or the worst ones, and the ones we want people to see, but no one ever gave them the attention they deserved. So let's take this one step further. What trailers have people seen that really made them want to see the movie in question? What was the worst trailer you saw, and why was it bad? Here's some for starters....

Strange Trailer:
    1) Trainspotting (The one on the beginning of the Reservoir Dogs video, with Renton being tied to a train track): one of the most surreal trailers I've seen, as it had nothing to do with the film whatsoever, and still contained scenes that didn't end up in any edit of the final film.

Worst Trailer: (Excluding Jurassic Park 3)
    1) Probably those trailers that either state just the title of the film, and then simply say "Coming Soon" or whatever - Totally pointless! Or, those trailers that give everything away in three or four minutes, thus removing any incentive to see the end product!

Best Trailer:
    1) Pearl & Dean: one to be brought back, I think!
    2) The "Grindhouse Releasing" teaser, that is on "The Beyond" and "Cannibal Ferox" DVD's. Very seventies, and very funky!
    3) Terminator 2's trailers: total action that never lets up, just like the film, and leaves you wanting more. It also makes you think that the trailer showcases the best stuff, and then the film exceeds that by a mile!
    4) The "7 Deadly Sins" trailer for "Se7en": Morgan Freeman exmplains the 7 deadly sins, and tells us we can expect more to come, In between each sin, we see part of the result of the murder of each "sinner". Very grim, but very clever!

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The most memorable movie trailer...

Commando

Gary

A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

My DVDs
    [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by APPRIA40WR (edited 20-10-2000).]

3. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    One of the best trailers I have seen is for Blair Witch 2, it showed nothing of the movie but made full use of the suwoofers in creating an atmosphere.

4. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Off the top of my head - Armageddon Trailer.

Lots of loud noises and Brucie.

I will review my Film collection to see what's good.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best trailer is without doubt, Independence Day. Fantastic trailer. Awful film though and I'm sure one of the reasons it was so popular was because of that trailer. All the best bits of the film were in the trailer. See the trailer, see the film.

Mission Impossible trailer was very good as well, mostly due to the theme song.

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Worst trailer has to be for Dinosaur on the Tarzan DVD.
    It show's the whole start of the film about 5 minutes.
    Took the kid's to see it today.
    seven out of ten, it's a pg but my 3 year old kept hiding behind the seat.
    Be warned it's definatley a pg and nowhere near a U.
    cheers
    Timh

------------------
    I want a car, chick's dig the car.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of the best trailers that I have seen recently are; M:I2, Vertical Limit, Charlies Angels, Gladiator, and Final Fantasy. All of these can been downloaded on the web at, www.apple.com/trailers/ . You need a version of quicktime player (get quicktime pro if you can, it is highly recommended). With a bit of searching you can get it for free. This is very cool. Saving them is tricky but possible. If you want or need to know how, e-mail me and I will tell you.
    Neil [​IMG]

------------------
    That's pretty lame Milhouse!

8. Kevin

Kevin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the trailer on the Gattaca DVD. this is one of the few trailers I've seen in full DD5.1.

9. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Can anyone help by telling me what film that the ad where there was a close up of Arnie eye’s looking around the cinema you are in and saying (not yet) was it a teaser for True Lies or Last Action Hero ?

It was a long time ago but that was a good ad because it felt like he was looking in the room at you but it will not work so well in the home.

10. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It would be nice if the trailers on a dvd were of better qaulity, as it is they look no better than vhs and can be the worst feature on a disc.

11. neilbennett

neilbennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pitch Black... Saw the trailer back in June/July, Waited for it to hit the screen in August/September but it was withheld, then I saw it was coming on DVD so I placed my order, now its being shipped.
    They showed a different trailer for Pitch Black at the local cinema this weekend, but it was completly different to the one a few months back. Had I only seen this recent trailer I don't think I would be in such a hurry to see it. I would have thought they would be trying to generate more interest in a film that has been delayed. (Maybe its just my opinion). But has anyone else seen more that one trailer for a film and thought that it portrayed a completly different picture.

12. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Best Trailers;

M:I2 and how can you guys forget TPM.

13. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Now that I have had a chance to think:

The Southpark:The Movie trailer where the 'Top animators from Japan and USA, with budget of 15 Billion dollars.....'

Now that had me in stitches.

14. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The original teaser trailer for TPM was played nearly everyday on our Mac at work.

Also my current favourite is the spoof trailer for StarWars episode 2.