Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Best & worst -R media for a Panasonic HS2?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TP2K, Oct 21, 2003.

1. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone's been following my threads you'll know I just too delivery of a Panny HS2, and am currently browsing the manual whist trying out some features...

Firstly, sorry for yet another thread (this is the TP2K Forums, isn't it!? :rotfl: )... anyhoo - do any HS2 owners have any recommendations on what is the most compatible (and incompatible) DVD-R media for the machine?

My PC has a Pioneer 104, and I am the former owner of a DVR7000 STB, and over the last 18 months or so I had a good knowledge of good/bad discs and compatibilty.

Of course; that's all gone out the window now, and I am back to basics - I would love some general feedback on media if you have any - I sure as s--- don't want to burn me some of those discs which break up in the last 15 minutes leaving me high and dry in the middle of a movie like my early days!

TIA!

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    For archiving I've only used Panasonic, Sony and TDK blank media - all about $2 per disc last time I went shopping Stateside. No coasters yet (only 100 so far though).

3. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't like Bulkpaq Yellow (least, written via PC), that's for sure... :(

4. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried reading the DVD info on your DVDs.You can see -most of the time - where the disk has been made.
    Try this program (free):-
    http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

I think this program has been mentioned here before (nwgarret?)

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    I use Panasonic, JVC and Sony DVD-Rs for long term archiving (between them no coasters whatsoever either on PC or HS2).

Currently using Mirror DVD-Rs for 'throw away disks' (Out of 75 disks I have had 4 coasters on my PC, 2 on my HS2).

Recent past I have also used TDK (10 disks tried, no coasters), Verbatim (50 disks tried, 3 coasters - all on PC) and Ritek disks (50 tried, 7 coasters - all on PC).

A good tip too see if a DVD-R will work is to enter a title on it before making the recording. If the title is entered OK then the disk will normally work.

6. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A word of caution. This tip does indeed seem to confirm that a disk will "Work" ie. "Not shut down after a recording has started. What it will not do however is tell you that the disk will give you a healthy recording all the way through.

I always follow this tip now but a recent batch of Memorex 4X discs passed the test and recorded but failure to play back without stuttering on any machine was evident on the last 30 minutes of each disc. So this test is not at all conclusive in telling you all is well.

I must say though that the Memorex discs are normally very reliable and I am stil using "New batches " without problems so far......

The old version of FWS discs were the best I have used for compatibility. But now they are produced using the Ritek nightmare dye as I would call them. I have very unpredictable results from them. The point is that not all machines are equal and most people talking about Ritek praise it's compatibility and are happy bunnies to use them.....:D

7. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will have to try some brands... some of my -R discs I save for "best" and have some old (18m) unused TDK and Sony atm. Oddly enough, the Sony info states they're manufactured by TDK!

I think previously I had excellent compatibilty since my PC drive is a Pio and the playback STB's were Pio's 444 and DVR7000; thus likely similar (if not the same) components across the board.

8. robpiggott

robpiggott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oi tp2k, where did you get it for £450 as you seem to be posting this all over the net yet not informing people wherer you got it for that price.

9. 7MAT

7MAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The trouble with cheap DVD media is that it will not archive well.

A brands like TDK, Verbatim etc will last a good 30+ years.

If you place say a TDK DVD and a cheap B brand media in direct sunlight for a day or two you will notice that the purple dye on the cheaper media will fade away.

7MAT

10. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oi yourself!

There seems to be a witch-hunt on for me and the price I paid for the HS2; I haven't posted it "all over the net" simply on another Forum, on which you'll find the answer!

HTH.

11. robpiggott

robpiggott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    um...seeing is believing so what forum or is that top secret as well!!