1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best/worst make/brand of TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by kblt1, Mar 22, 2005.

1. kblt1

kblt1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I was wondering what in everyones opinion is the best brand of TV? Sony? Panasonic? If so where do Philips, JVC, Toshiba etc fit in?

and for the worst I'm assuming Bush or Alba right?

I would say

Sony
    Panasonic
    JVC/Philips
    Toshiba
    Hitachi
    Samsung
    Thomson
    Bush/Goodmans/Alba

What does everyone else think?

2. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on what you mean by best-worst! There is reliability, quality, sound quality etc. I think your list could be seen as fairly accurate but you may over-estimate Sony. I would be inclined to say that Panasonic should go first, given the reliability and quality of their products but even then, it depends on the TV. Some manufacturers make better budget TV's and some use lower standard componants on their cheaper TV's.
    If you asked this question to find out which TV to buy, I suggest you take each one on individual merit and not on make.

3. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sony is definatly overrated, oyur paying for the badge. their budget stuff is very poor and there "good" stuff is stupidly overpriced, you pay for the lifestyle not the performance.

I would say the top three makes are Toshiba Panansonic and JVC

4. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say Sony is definitely the top brand. Personal experience tells me that they produce the most consistently good pictures accross all the price catagories and they make the best IDTVs too, with good MHEG performance and excellent EPGs.

Of course, some Sony TVs do still breakdown or develop faults but so do other brand's models, and when you consider how many TVs Sony sell in the first place the percentage is probably very low. (Last time I saw a brand reliability survey in Which? magazine Sony were top for TVs.)

5. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    what we talking here:

crt,lcd,plasma,dlp ?

6. MQUIN SKYWALKER

MQUIN SKYWALKER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Toshiba Used To Be 4 Years Ago But Now I Think Its Sony,my Kp44px3 Has The Best Pic Ive Ever Seen On A Rptv And Puts Most Plasmas To Shame And All For £749 And Its 44" Beat That

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    at the very top
    B&O
    at the very bottom
    TINY

8. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I think asking for any opinion like this, whilst can prove useful of course, is purely down to people's personal opinions. Some will say Sony is the best (and I am one of them having owned some superb sets) but I do fully respect and appreciate other peoples opinions. Interesting that people put Panasonic up high - you see - I would rate them as awful - having had 3 x 32" CRT tv's from them that all suffered from purity errors and bad cases of dirty screen.

Best bet is to take a long hard look at sets in various showrooms if you can, read some of the magazine reviews (some of which you can read linked from this site of course) and go by your own personal instincts and opinions.

Alot of people here will differ on opinions and of course, that's fine. But it may end up confusing you. So, my advice would be to simply follow the guidelines I have given above. That's what I did. And ended up with a superb 32" CRT that I am very happy with.

All the best

Paul

9. Gadgets4Me

Gadgets4Me
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It also depends on what you've owned.

I had an excellent 21" JVC for 11 years until it developed a bad case of convergence. :eek:
    Replaced that with a Panny TX24PS1.

I also had a 29" Panasonic for 9 years, which is now with my in-laws, which I replaced recently with a Toshiba 36ZP46.
    The Tosh is fantastic, I bought it due to all the good reports on this forum.
    I was thinking of getting another Panny the PD30, but so many bad reports put me off.

I've never had a Sony, but I agree they're overpriced.

So I would put Panasonic near the top with Toshiba.

What about Loewe?

Regards

10. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Until the manufacturers drastically improve quality control,all brands and models will suffer at some stage.The problems come from faulty components and poor assembly.I think in the day and age it is unacceptable to send tvs out into the stores with known problems.Toshiba has known about faulty text modules affecting some of the zp range,yet i still hear people reporting the same faults.

11. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Surely just about any RP will outclass a plasma? Or have things changed recently? (I'm not being sarcastic, *have* things changed?)