1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best World of Warcraft server and info for a newbie

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Pbryanw, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Hi,

I am awaiting my copy of World of Warcraft to come through the post and once that happens I assume I can write off my social life for a while as I get to grips with it.

To begin with I was wondering what the best server to play in is for a newbie. I've heard of PvP, role playing and normal servers and I assume that there must be a number of each type of server. So what server type and name of server is best or recommended for the WOW newcomer?

Any other tips for a WOW newcomer i.e. character type and pitfalls to avoid, would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Val

2. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    If you are going to play for a while, it might be best to create a few test characters on a PVE server and try them out.
    If you go on a PVP server from the off, you may end up struggling with some quests simply because you have to travel in enemy areas and get jumped by players often many levels above you simply because you are there.

PVP is more exciting, but you can get into player battles on PVE servers in battle grounds / duels and raids ... but aren't forced into it - which makes life a little easier.

Its difficult to give advice on what class to play - I sugguest creating a few different ones and trying them out -- although you will need to play them up to at least level 20 to get a good idea about how they play ( as often the earlier levels have not got the spells / skills to give a fair indication of how the character players through the game )

If you want to create a character for the long haul, consider what you want from the game. If you want to be a team player and do the hardest quests in the game, often you will have to play a type cast character - a warrior based purely defencively , a priest that only heals and stays at the back etc.
    You can play characters a little differently and add a little diversity, but in the tight tactics and team slots later on, people want specific optimal builds to team up with.

One of the easiest character to level and play is a rogue - fast damage and quick kills, often punching above their weight with easy sucess.
    Do you want to be at the front dealing damage, or at the back keeping them alive ?
    The hybrid characters can be fun to play, but can get overlooked in later game teams. warrior / priest are the 2 characters that pretty much won't ever fail to get into a team for high level stuff - because they are pretty much defacto ( however druids can turn into a slightly less effective tank or slightly less effective healer than the warrior or priest )

go through the forums for each character ( www.worldofwarcraft.com ) and read up on the skills, tips, complaints - the manual is a little sparse on technical content for characters.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,352
    An other tip maybe if playing different types to see which you like to play for the long haul, is to play different races, so you get to play in different start areas rather than doing the same stuff time and time again, although Gnomes and Dwarfs start I the same area.
    Also different races have different traits.

Warriors are tanks they get the best armour but do not kill as fast as some of the other classes but I think better than the paladin. Armour Plate
    Paladin (Alliance only) is a bit like the warrior but can heal himself and resurrect dead players. Armour Plate
    Hunters are distance players use pets to take the agro whilst shooting from a distance, can run into trouble if the pet dies. Armour Mail
    Druid does a but of everything jack of all trades even get to turn into animals. Armour leather.
    Rouge are stealthily and do a lot of close quarters damage . Armour leather.
    Mage do massive amounts of damage and go for very quick kills but can also die quick and spend a lot of time drinking mana potions. . Armour cloth.
    Warlock like a bt of a cross between a mage and a hunter, calls up familiars either to do damage or go in and take the agro whist casting spells. Armour cloth.
    Priest a bit like the Warrior and Paladin difference does not kill as quick as the mage but has more survival skills. Armour cloth.

Sharman(Hoard only) this is one I have not played to much so know very little about but can be sods if you come up against one. They deal in magic and cast totems, which can heal the, so your whacking away at them and all the time the totem is healing them. Or they can cast totems that do extra damage to you as well as the them dealing magical damage. Armour cloth.

As to the serve not saying it is but you may be better on a new sever with low uses than one that has high users. EG when I stated on the my sever there is an area called Ironforge it use to run smooth but now there is so many people in there it lags like crazy.
    I’m just starting to notice it in an other city Stormwind.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,352
    An other site you may want to look at is http://www.worldofwar.net/
    Which is a good site to look at character builds and ask questions of your own.

I use to use it for Daiblo II questions.

5. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Thanks for the information. It's been very useful and I 'm checking out those sites now. I should get the game tomorrow so I guess that's my weekend booked up messing about on it.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a dark-elven druid for my first character, although I'm a bit partial to Paladins (having played one in BG2 - shame there are no monks though). I think the druid ability of changing into a fighter or a stealth player and having the ability to cast spells as well sounds quite interesting and alluring.

From the sounds of it I assume that you can have quite a few characters up and running at the same time. Is this the way to go - create a few and then see what suits you best? I guess the only way I'm going to know is when I actually start playing the game.

As you can tell I'm a bit excited, I love RPG's and with the amount of hype this game has had I'm really looking forward to it.

6. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    its a good idea to not only try out the different classes to see what suits you, but also to get an insight into how they play - so when you team up with them ... and you invariably will do quite often, you don't do things that ruin their tactics.

examples

- knowing about a mage turning an enemy into a sheep ( and not hitting the sheep until everythign else is clear as it will break the spell )

- not breaking a rogues sap , a hunters ice trap , hibernate etc etc

- knowing that warriors need to generate rage from being hit / charging into combat to do their skills

amongst many many other things you'll find out about the different classes.

My first character was a druid ... who I have just resurected - just got him up to level 40 and dire bear form.
    ... my high level hunter is grinding cash for my druid to pay for his mount \o/

I'm mainly on the Azrune server ... if you come on and give me a shout, I'm sure I can chuck you some bags and abit of cash to get you started ;)

Check back through the threads, I am sure some of the other memebers listed their servers on a thread a while ago.

7. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Had a quick peek at the WOW forums. It seems it does get a bit technical at the higher levels with players taking offensive and healing roles and a lot of terms like "dps" being thrown about which I haven't learnt about yet. Don't know if I'd get that far into it yet. I'll take your advice and try out a few classes when I get on, and you never know I might take you up on that offer of cash :)

8. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I'm a lvl 60 Shaman on the Turlayon server and have been asked to be a guild master when I come back from my hols so if you become horde on Turaylon then give Morlan a shout :D . Don't worry about it looking complicated you sound like a RPG fan and the basics apply (XP armour points and buffs).

A couple of tips for you.

Always log off at an inn or capital city as it gives double rest points so you get double XP against beasts next time you play.

Don't over train as you spend a lot of money doing this and could miss that great weapon in Auction House just because your skint ( oh so many times :rolleyes: ).

At the start of any new area first priority is find the flight path save so much running across the landscape. (again oh so many times :))

Depending on your class pick skills to match, so leatherwork/skinning, mining/blacksmith etc. This saves and generates money as you can make your own leather armour or if a spell caster make your own mana potions so you don't have to buy.

Join a guild, this is the best way for a speedy advance.

Enjoy your WoW it's a great game and FYI 'dps' = damage per second.

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,352
    Yes the DPS Damage Per Second is something all weapons giv in ther stats so I would not wory too much about it it is just a very easy way of looking at stuff as most stuff say. Wepon damage (this means when it is used) and the rate you can use it. DPS just simplifies it.
    EG if you get a drop of a weapon and the one your using is 7.5 and the one you pick up is 8.7 you usaly swap. Although some weapons may give you skill points eg strength, which when the weapon is exiped may give yui extra DPS which can be seen in you character information which you have to bring up any way to place the weapon in you characters hand.

By the way I was on last night and this is a typical thing you see. (Doing a run Warrior, Paladin, Priest wanted).

By the way at level 40 all characters can get mounts E.G. horses etc which make time covering distances down. This cost you 90 gold. Paladins and Warlocks get them free although I think it uses a little more mana then the ones you buy.

Do not bother too much about the stats it will all fall into place once you start playing.

And you can always come here for help as I see there is a number of vets on this forum.

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,352
    Did you get it Valhoudini?

Or do I take if I get a no reply means you have it.:laugh:

11. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Mages can teleport and summon food and mana ect...

Also learn the fishing and cooking skills as you'll come across the stuff anyway and you can fish items and with cooking at higher levels food gives you bonus'.

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,352
    Do you mean blink? which you can jump about 10 yards? or open portals? The last one the priest have (well where I go for training there is a vendor that teaches it but says I'm not high a level yet)..

I was playing with a mage yesterday and I was playing a priest, I have a damage spell that also slows the enemy down 50% so he was casting all sorts of damage on them and I was damaging them and stoping them to getting to him. On paper not the best combination but it seem to work very well for what we were doing.

13. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Yes, my silence and lack of posts means I've got it :smashin:

First thing I noticed was the amount of polish and hard work that's gone into the creation of this game. From the box (with the velcro clasp) it came in to the amazing intro movie and it's carried over into the game itself. This is the best looking RPG I've ever seen. I especially like looking up at the night sky and watching the stars.

Started on a PvE server called something like Emerald Isle. Thought about a druid but eventually settled for a Dwarf Paladin (called Bryaduun) as, like I said, I've always been partial to Paladins. So far I've managed to haul myself up to level 6. It's seems very easy to get through the early ranks. the only problem I have had so far is what trade I should go into. I've decided to choose blacksmithing as one but not sure what are the best or most profitable to go into. Might try fishing as recommended - I can see myself taking a break every now and then and settling down for a nice relaxing fish.

Oh and there seems to be a dearth of dwarfs. Lots of pesky Gnomes though. It also seems geared towards soloing especially at the beginning. Anyway I'm sure once you get to the higher levels there's more group play?.

My mission for tonight's play is to get to, and explore, Ironforge. And to get to at least level 10. Anyway must get back to WoW, must get that extra level, must buy that next level of armour, must buy that next spell. I can tell this game is going to take over my life - well at least for the next couple of months :)

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,352
    :smashin:

There is only a lot of Dwarf because you are in the Dwarf starting area, my main character is a Dwarf he gets a bonus for gun skills. Most people go for Night Elf if they have a choose and I would say about 75% players in the Alliance is Elfs. Nice to see other races.

Yes going for blacksmithing is a good choose for a Paladin as he can make his own armour. You also need mining to go with it to make the stuff from. Secondary skills I would go for first aid. Although coking will give you some 15 minute skill advancements getting the stuff is a royal pain in the butt. First aid you get from drops. Only thing is a Paladin can heal himself, but cost mana.

I have a Lv 20 Paladin and non of the 11 talent points distributed, thinking of taking him the retribution root, can cast 10% increases in attributes on his team members, as someone said when in a group of 5 that’s like have an half a person doing damage.

The only draw back with a pally is you cannot pull, e.g. if there is a group of enemy you cannot pull one from the rest. The only way to do that is go engineering and make bombs and I have been told that is a pain also.

As to fishing I do not know if it is any advantage to your character or skills, but can be relaxing diversion.

If you get to Ironforge go to the grypon master in the centre section and get a flight path of him he is about 3 o clock. Then go into Tinkertown in IF and get on the tram to Stormwind and look for the gryfon master there he is to the south east and get the same. There are some good quest there although you probably as a dwarf really want to do them just outside IF.

Flight paths are a must later on which save you time running for 20 minutes from one area to an other they are in most areas you go into.

15. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    A big thanks for all the advice. Managed to get my Paladin up to level 9. Haven't really thought about what path to take him down yet. I've read a bit on the WoW forums where they recommend different builds but I'm not really that advanced or that into it yet.

I must admit the worst part of the whole WoW experience is the boredom involved in running everywhere. I feel pangs of jealousy when I see people on horses or girffiths fly over me or pass me by.

Anyway off to bed now. I've been playing much too much today. Tomorrow Ironforge :smashin:

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,352
  17. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Wow, thanks for the links Garrett, I've just added them to my favourites. Those gamepressure links look especially useful, with all the quests linked to from the map screen.

At the moment I've got to level 10 and have joined a guild. I don't know what benefits there are in joining one though. I was asking for advice from a higher level player and then they invited me in. It's supposedly a small guild...anyway I'll try some guild chat later on today.

Finally reached Ironforge as well. The graphics make it look amazing. They give such a good idea of the scale of the place and the different sections all look so interesting.

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,352
    You can get all the maps from a drop down menu for the two islands I just added 3 links for the areas you may be intreste in.