Best with set-top boxes – Tosh XS34 or Pany EH50?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by howardmg, Apr 6, 2005.

1. howardmg

howardmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I’m reliant on cable as my aerial reception is no good, and therefore no point in me waiting for HDD DVDs with Freeview later in year (luckily).

I understand that the Tosh is good in controlling set-top boxes and sounds like a great machine from what I’ve read here.

But before I make the plunge are there any significant disadvantages v the new Panasonic EH50?

These things come to mind after reading about the Panasonic in What Video this month:-

- It can play +R discs – can the Toshiba?
    - Quick start up time of one second – how does the Tosh compare if you keep it on the whole time?
    - New 500 line resolution on the LP mode allowing a 3 hour film on one disc
    - High speed HDD -> DVD dub

Appreciate any feedback…

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Toshiba XS32 (and I believe XS34) won't play +R discs. (unless they were burned with a DVD-ROM booktype).

Doesn't start in one second from off - more like 10-15 seconds. If it is on, it starts immediately.

Full (500 line) resolution up to 2 hours 20 mins... for 3 hours would use half resolution. Picture still pretty good; I can't say how it compares to the new Pannys.

It does high speed HDD > DVD DUB. On -R it is 4x, on -RW it is 2x.

Mark

3. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I'm trying to make the same decision - but I'm also throwing the Panny E95 into the mix.

The Panny EH50 has a 12bit D/A converter which is supposed to improve playback picture quality compared to the 10bit E95 and Toshiba. I have seen posts from people who have used the Tosh 32/34 that state that Panny's are more user friendly. Also a couple of posts complaining about the 34s fan noise. The main advantage for me of the Tosh is its DV input. That is why I am also considering the Panny E95.

4. howardmg

howardmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks to both of you for the feedback - would a Dell NEC +R/+RW drive count as a "DVD-ROM booktype"?

New Pannys claim 4 hours at 500 line resolution.

I was heading for the Toshiba XS34 but there seem to be a number of disadvantages:-

- noisy fan
    - -R software issues
    - unlikely to play +R
    - no external link to STB (need redeye tool to get IR to control Telewest Pace STB I think)

One, probably stupid, question on DV IN - as I edit my camcorder footage via the PC, is this something I need?

Thanks

5. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do any of the pannys have set-top box control ?
    I would put the convenience of this for everyday use higher than any marginal details of formats and dac resolution you'll neer notice....

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    To set the booktype you need a PC drive which can handle this, and also burining software that can do it. I'm not sure about your particular drive.

If you edit your DV camcorder footage via PC (as I do), then DV in on the recorder isn't essential, but I've found it useful, when I want a quick way to record some footage.

I don't find the fan an issue (on the XS32), but some do.

Mark

7. Jungle

Jungle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does any one know how much is the Panny EH50. I noticed you can get a Tosh XS32 for around £300. If the Panny EH50 cost significantly more then we can't compare the mini with a BMW

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Similar prices: at RGB Direct (for example), XS34 is £318, EH50 is £321. I'd go for the XS34 over a XS32, unless you can get the XS32 much cheaper. XS34 vs. EH50 is a harder call.

Mark

9. bossnas

bossnas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently had this dilemma but ended up going for the XS34 due to the DV Input and the 160GB HDD. Mine arrived yesterday so I'll have a good play with it over the weekend. Another downside of the Panny's for me is they don't record a 16:9 flag to -R, only to DVD-RAM, I think the XS34 will record the flag but I can't confirm that just yet.

Cheers
    Nas

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I'm pretty sure the XS34 will, the XS32 does....

When you create a DVD-R on the XS32, you can specify 3 values for the aspect ratio (which sets the "flag" appropriately): Either 4:3, 16:9, or "Original", which takes the value from the recording.

I tried to check the XS34 manual to see if it works the same, but when I download the manual I only get the first 86 pages... strange... from http://tesc.toshiba.co.uk

Mark

11. howardmg

howardmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can any Panasonic owners out there confirm that they can / cannot control Digiboxes?

12. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My E85 can't - I bought a device that's supposed to do this via infrared but it was useless. I believe the best player to do this is the Pioneer 920 but it costs nearly £900.