Best wireless video sender

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by KEV-HKR, Feb 4, 2011.

1. KEV-HKR

KEV-HKR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, am looking at getting one of these to get our Sky signal up to bedroom. I have searched on here but all the threads seem quite old so thought I would just ask as products change all the time. I saw one at Argos that had good reviews but it is a 2.4Ghz model and from what I have read these often get inteference from wi-fi, dect phones, 360's and microwaves - all of which we have!

Which are the best, within reasonable price range, out there at the moment?

Also, we have a coax running to tv from booster in loft that we don't use as have got the Sky box so could I somehow reroute this from the booster box to our bedroom and then connect between Sky box downstairs and tv upstairs? Thinking about it though, we couldn't then switch channels etc? Wireless sounds best route. Problem I have is that to get cabling from Sky box to bedroom is a total pain so that is why thinking of re hashing existing coax cabling that runs to tv/sky box from loft as can get that rerouted to bedroom from booster box no probs and have a physical connection. Would be great if somehow could get an actual coax connection from booster box to bedroom for digi tv and also sky as well. Do-able?? :confused:

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    Just get whatever sender Argos has at the lowest price, try it, and if it doesn't work take it back for a more expensive one. A 2.4 may be perfectly OK.
    You could try the cables method, taking a feed from Sky RF2 Out through the existing cable up to the loft, then down again to the other rooms, and add a "magic eye" to it for the remote control. That would be far more hassle though.

3. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327
    You do not need a wireless sender - all you need to add is a cable from the booster to bedroom. The cable that runs at present from booster to main room should be plugged into RF2 output on Sky box (will probably need a female to female coax adapter to connect it) and the other end of the cable needs to be joined with the output from the booster (short length of coax cable required with appropriate connectors) using a cheap "y" joiner (make sure it is "Magic eye" compatible) the output from the "Y" is the new cable to bedroom. Providing the "Y" connector is compatible and you add a magic eye in the bedroom you should be able to control the Sky box from bedroom. So basically a couple of cheap adapters, a magic eye and a new cable is all that is needed - probably a lot cheaper and less susceptible to interference (both WiFi and people walking between transmitter and receiver) than a wireless sender.

4. KEV-HKR

KEV-HKR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. By 'magic eye' do you mean a wireless video sender unit? If so, then I will need one of those even if I connect the coax, just for the remote signal? Also, why do I need a Y connector? I thought I would be merely taking the feed coax that goes down to the lounge out of the booster in the loft and use a straight joint to extend it to the bedroom? We aren't trying to get a Sky signal to all the other bedrooms.

As said though, if I am going to get a wireless sender for the remote anyway, I may as well try it 1st as wireless and see how it is as I may not need to go down the coax route.

I have just read alot about the 2.4Ghz models getting the interference as all the other stuff in the house is on that frequency but the few reviews I have read for the higher frequency units have been mixed. I know the cheap 2.4 unit at argos has 200 and odd reviews which are 80% good hence favouring that one unless someone could recc a 5.8 Ghz unit.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  5. KEV-HKR

KEV-HKR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha, I see what you mean by the magic eye now. Just had a look at Maplins. So I would use this connected in line with coax to get the remote to work. Think I will see just how easy/hard it will be to get coax to our room as it is a dormer ext. If it is gunna be a pain then I will try the video sender from Argos. If no good then I will run the coax. I wonder if Argos do the magic eye then I could exchange if video sender no good. Cheers for your help.

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    The cable sends the programmes one way, and the remote control through the "magic eye" back the other.
    As you already have the cables it makes sense to try them before going for a wireless solution.

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

If the cable solution isn't feasable then you could opt for a Philips Wireless TV Link SLV4200/12 (SLV4200/12 Philips Wireless TV link SLV4200 - Philips Support. This item operates on the 5.8GHz band and therefore isn't effected by microwave ovens, cordless telephones, wireless routers, etc. It comes complete with Sky/Sky+ (probably Sky+ HD too) compatible Infra Red detectors for relaying the remote control signals back to your digibox (plus a DVD player/recorder if you have one).
    Unfortunately it's not available from Philips UK but you can obtain it via one of Philips' continental websites. In my case I managed to buy mine on-line via the Spanish site although I note that it's 10€ cheaper on the German one(!!).

Regards

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011