Question Best Wireless router (or with modem) for gaming?

GokuSS4

Banned
Hi guys,

Not sure where to post this really, I play a lot on my PS4 and I think it is about time I bought a decent router/modem.

I am with Plusnet Fibreoptic and am using the Bt modem and the wireless n router which they supplied so two devices.

Ive been looking around and I am looking to spend around £100 or under on a wireless router, if it comes with the modem as well then great. But needs to take the fibreoptic cable which I am sure they all do?

Ive been out of the whole PC loop for a long time unfortunately.

Been looking at the following:

TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router (2.4 GHz 300Mbps, 5 GHz 300Mbps, 2 USB Ports for Storage Sharing, Media/Print Server)

Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty

NETGEAR WNDR4500-200EUS N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]From what I have read it needs to have QoS for the best gaming experience? Not sure if those have it?

I mainly play on my PS4 and needs to be wireless N or better please :)

Thanks guys!
[/FONT]

rs6mra

As always the question is what is the issue with the current router? The routers you have listed always seem to have good reviews but getting a new router may not necessarily solve your problems all depending on what that is.....
Is having it wired totally out of the question?

GokuSS4

Banned
Hi my current one is a cheap horrible free one that PlusNet supplied.

I am wired with gaming consoles but obviously need wireless for my phone and other devices.

Need someone who knows about whether these have QoS please and which one is best.

limegreenzx

Banned
The Asus routers have QoS. You will also have a good choice of different firmware to choose from which may have preset QoS settings. Have a look at DD-WRT and Tomato firmware if the router is on their supported list it can support QoS using their firmware. However, it may be easier to ask the person in the house that's using all your bandwidth to stop or at least limit their use.
If you want wireless speed it is pointless choosing an 802.11n router when the faster 802.11ac is standard on most phones and tablets.

GokuSS4

Banned
Hi thanks, no I am using a dedicated line for internet purely for my gaming and movies its my internet no one else uses it :)

I dont know too much about QoS just some website was saying if you game its a must?

Well my Xperia Z5 Premium is the only wireless device that pretty much uses the internet. The PS4 is hard wired though.

Any on that list that I showed any good? I thought I would have got a much greater response in this section of the forums :(

rs6mra

What tends to happen for a router recommendation is referral to the website Smallnetbuilder where in-depth reviews of routers are published.
I can also confirm that the Netgear router has QoS but I am no gamer so cannot comment.

GokuSS4

Banned
Err thanks? o_O

GokuSS4

Banned
No worries guys, just renewed with Plusnet and they are giving me the latest Hub ONE which is basically the Home Hub 5 for free :)