• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best Wireless Home Cinema... & Turntable? Sonos?

clnthl

Established Member
Hi All,
I have been trying to research this for my Dad for christmas as I was hoping its something I can start off for him and then he can grow himself slowly over time. He has a large record collection but currently does not have a turntable to play them on and his old 5.1 surround system gave up earlier this year as well. So I was wondering what the best single option would be to replace the both? Does a viable option exist?
As far as I can tell with Sonos you can connect a turntable to the Play:5 via aux cable and also the Sonos play bar can be made into a surround system with 2 Play:1 speakers. Can you add 4 play:1s or just 2? The only thing I would be worried about is the play bar only has optical out and no hdmi ARC, does this create any lip-sync issues or anything? Are there any rumours about a gen2 play bar like the new play:5?
The other options I have found are Bose who have the soundtouch range which features proper home cinema systems and also smaller speakers with aux inputs, but their home cinema systems are extremely expensive, they make even the sonos look cheap by comparison. Also the Bose app looks very primitive.
Yamaha, Denon & Samsung all have sound bars which are a part of their multi room offerings but I am unsure if a turntable can be connected to them without buying a separate amp which you can also connect speakers to, which seems a bit of a waste of money as we have no old speakers to add to it. I also know the samsung sound bars can be upgraded with further speakers but I do not think this can be done for the Denon system and am unsure if it can be done for the Yamaha.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks :)

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom