Best wired over ear closed headphones for my System ?

As ruffuz says, ifi audio has listed specs of the same set, just different colour variants.

What I would like to know is what is how much different to the b's does the older model sound (using a standard stereo plug not balanced) and if the ear enclosure is any larger on the older model (for my big ears) :blush:
The GM is not the older model it is still being produced but not easy to get hold of here in the UK on ebay most of the sellers for the GM are from Japan they are not available from Amazon UK you might get some from AT themselves here in the UK.
Regarding the ear enclosures they are both the same size I have just had them side by side. The GM's can take calls from your smartphone using the supplied cable. Its horses for courses basically. I like the balanced cable on the MSR7b model because I can make use of that where it wouldn't help you at all it gives them a slightly superior sound to the GM's due to the balanced circuitry on the iFi Zen Dac. Thats the reason that I am keeping both sets because in their own right they are both very good headphones.

As far as I can tell, if your GM has an input on either headphone and 2 metal strips its the newer version.
If it has a single input on one headphone only and a single headband strip, its a discontinued version.

These are the black ones but same goes for the brown:

Both version were available in both colours but possibly they were country specific.
You still can buy the GM new in the b version an Amazon, but they do appear to be getting low on stock.

Thank you for comparing the ear enclosures for me :)

As far as I can tell, if your GM has an input on either headphone and 2 metal strips its the newer version.
If it has a single input on one headphone only and a single headband strip, its a discontinued version.

These are the black ones but same goes for the brown:

Both version were available in both colours but possibly they were country specific.
You still can buy the GM new in the b version an Amazon, but they do appear to be getting low on stock.

Thank you for comparing the ear enclosures for me :)
Yes I think you have hit the nail on the head because I would have thought that the ones with the balanced option would have been a more modern feature. The cost of a generic 3m cable for the ATH-MSR7 is not a cheap and again they all seem to be 1.2 mts long and any cable you got would have to have the A2DC connectors to fit into the ear cups. The only possible way around that would be to plug the cable from the headphones into an extension cable then into your system. Is that an upgrade or downgrade?

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically, any cable extension can be a downgrade, but I do have a two metre 3.5mm female to 6.35mm male which works without noticeable loss in quality.

I did purchase the highest (customer) rated three metre a2dc to 3.5mm with a 6.35 screw on adaptor I could find on Amazon, but I did notice a drop in SQ.
I can not seem to find any others that look to be of decent quality.

Technically, any cable extension can be a downgrade, but I do have a two metre 3.5mm female to 6.35mm male which works without noticeable loss in quality.

I did purchase the highest (customer) rated three metre a2dc to 3.5mm with a 6.35 screw on adaptor I could find on Amazon, but I did notice a drop in SQ.
I can not seem to find any others that look to be of decent quality.
Funny though isn't it everything on Amazon gets 4 to 5 stars yet when you go down the list of reviews for said item you find loads of 1 stars and people complaining I think some of these reviews need taking with pinch of salt.

Last edited by a moderator:
when you go down the list you find loads of 1 stars and people complaining I think some of these reviews need taking with pinch of salt.
I could not agree more. Sometimes people just do not know how to use things they buy.... I think this problem concerns all types of purchases, maybe except bottles of water... And that is a solid reason for expert forums to exist😃

If you are fast, there are 3x MSR7b in black from Audio Technica on ebay for the absolute bargain price of £80.
Factory refurbs, but I can say mine came in the proper box, properly packaged and looks, feels and smells like brand new :thumbsup:

Just don't forget to order a 6.35 adaptor if required and/or extension if you need more than 1.2m of cable.
The right angled 3.5mm stereo plug is not perfect for extending, or even some plug in use, but at that price I can live with it.
Because I had some nectar points mine were only £75, for a set of normally £180 headphones, suits me sir :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom