1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way view dvds from my pc (upstairs) on my plasma (downstairs)??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ellisbailey, Oct 13, 2005.

1. ellisbailey

ellisbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hi folks. I have got a fair few dvds and divxs on my pc but I am getting sick of burning them onto dvd for them to just be unplayable several months later. Ideally I want to view from my pc onto the plasma and have thought of three ways to do this.

1. Run a long svhs and optical cable from upstairs to downstairs. This will probably be the cheapest and simplest way but the cable runs will be 15-20 meters (where can i get cables that long)?

2. Wireless pc downstairs. I already have a wireless network upstairs. What wouyld be the minimum spec needed to play dvds/divx (will not be used for games/net browsing)

3. The new ipod 60gb. I like the thought of this one. Plays svhs out etc but I am not sure what vid specs it will play - .mp4 I think but am not sure?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I regularly use my laptop to stream content from my PC upstairs via wireless and show on the plasma downstairs just like you suggest.

I have a 54MBbs wireless network that can sometimes slow to 11MBps thanks to other factors but still works in this state.

I normally stream AVI files via media player and these include US "Hi-Def" (although not 720p) files that are pretty large.

Using PowerDVD on the laptop and selecting the "DVD Files on Hard Drive" mode with the hard drive being a shared directory on the PC upstairs works flawlessly.

Laptop is a Pentium M (Centrino) 1.7 with 760MB RAM.

Hope that helps.

Mark M

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    This is easy.... a modded xbox running xbmc (xbox media center) and connected via ethernet cable - will be perfect!

lisa

4. Chris Nicholl

Chris Nicholl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  5. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I will agree with Lisa up to a point but I wouldn't use the modded xbox. Although this will work, having an xbox in the room is not to everyones taste.

You don't state what plasma you have, is it hi-def ? If it is, when hi-def video comes out, you will need up to 18Mbps transfer rate and if your wireless drops to 11Mbps, it could cause a problem. I suggest Cat5e ethernet cable which can do up to 1Gbps transfer rates (Future proofing !)

Depends on how much you want to spend. I would suggest building a client HTPC for the Plasma and use the PC upstairs as a media server. If you're not viewing Hi-Def material or upscaling, then you'll get away with a 2.5Gig CPU, 512MB RAM, 40Gig Hard drive and a motherboard with onboard graphics. If you are looking at Hi-Def or upscaling, then look at a 3Gig processor and a motherboard with nVidia 6150 video chipset (Saves you from getting a Graphics Card).

Richie.

6. ellisbailey

ellisbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Ok am interested in this.

So let me just get this right (as pc skills are not massive) - This item plugs in downstairs to my plasma (picture) and outputs audio via a digital cable to my receiver.

It then detects all media (mostly divx) on my pc and can play it on the plasma?

I encode my divx in 5.1 so will I still be able to get this as well?

Cheers.

7. Chris Nicholl

Chris Nicholl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Yes, the Showcenter outputs via Scart or Component up to 1080i for HD (Component only!!) and can connect to your amp via optical or digital coax or phono.

Yeah, also does music & photos. You can even set watch folders up that will automatically add your files to the Showcenter database as you get them.

Yep, no problem as long as your amp is connected via one of the digital connections.

8. ellisbailey

ellisbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Cheers. My plasma is a Hyundai HPT4250 (not fully high def but I beleive it does semi high def).

What about using an external hard drive? I could store all my films on that and then just plug it in on the pc downstairs? Is this possible? This may be the simplest way and avoids wireless networks (which I hate).

9. ellisbailey

ellisbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    This is a great site folks. Thanks for all the replys. I didnt expect such a helpful reception!

10. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

Have you already got a PC downstairs ? If you have it's sooooooo easy. Connect an ethernet cable and load up MCE on the downstairs PC and stream over the network.

You could get a portable Hard disk if you wanted.

Richie.

11. ellisbailey

ellisbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    No have not got downstairs Pc yet. So am just scoping ideas for the simplest way of doing it. Pc seems to be the way to go. If I use an external drive can I just swap films from upsatairs Pc onto it and then plug it in on downstairs pc to view?

12. GingerMagic

GingerMagic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  13. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,870
    I do exactly the same but recently changed from PowerDVD to Media Player Classic. I also use PowerISO to mount ISO DVD images.

I do find it can stutter a bit when the wireless goes down to 11Mbs. It doesn't happen often luckily.

14. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    I have a similar set up, but the other way round... plasma and MCE PC in the lounge and modded xbox and CRT tv in the bedroom, connected via ethernet cable and through a router, also includes another pc in the dining room on the home network.

I still think you could consider a modded xbox, it is very good and has lots of fans, (not as in cooling fans but as in people who like it) check out the xbox forum on here - if you do a search on xbmc or modded you will be amazed! I bought mine pre-modded for £150... and it plays dvd's and is a games console as well as playing back all the media files I have thrown at it - divx, xvid, vobs, photos, mp3's etc...

lisa

15. Big_Vern

Big_Vern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  16. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  17. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201

Yes, you can get a USB drive enclosure (you stick a regular 3.5" hard drive in it) for about £25 and transfer it between any PC's that have a USB input and suitable media players

18. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    PS I think the UK version is available with a rgb scart output, as for watching DVD's, I think I'm right in saying that it's possible to rip a DVD to your HDD using DVD Decrypter or similar , and rip the main movie file only as one large .VOB file.
    If .VOB's aren't listed as playable using the MVP then you could just change the file extension of the file from .VOB to .mpeg :thumbsup:

As mjm2005 said, it could be an option to stream it using WIFI, it may be possible to buy an ethernet bridge (eg linksys wet54g http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=110622) connected to the ethernet connector on the MVP

and use a router or wireless adapter connected to your PC??