Best way to watch Sky Go on bedroom TV?

70s_kid

Established Member
Reaction score
Mrs 70s_kid has bought a TV for the bedroom.

We have no TV aerial installed in the house, only Sky in the living room.

I thought the best way to watch TV on it may be through Sky Go, which I could connect using a laptop which currently doesn't get used much.

Or has anyone got any better ideas?

Thanks.

depends on the model of TV

you could put in an RF cable, (it's quite easy)
If you have an xbox 360 you could use the sky app on that. (not sure how much it shows)
or you could connect a laptop as you say

You mean a multiroom subscription?
That's chargeable of course but you might get a reduction.

If the free multiroom doesn't come off, then to save faffing about with a laptop (which presumably you will want to use for other things too), a budget tablet might be worth considering, and leaving there as a dedicated device.

You can probably get an Android tablet that's up to the job for £50 - £100 and just leave it connected. For convenience, you can install the free "Cheapcast" app and control the tablet from bed using your phone as a smart remote. This would have the bonus features of playing any other online content that the tablet supports (YouTube etc) as well as any locally stored content.

I've done exactly this with a cheap chi-pad before I got a smart TV, and it works great.

...For convenience, you can install the free "Cheapcast" app and control the tablet from bed using your phone as a smart remote.......

Oh, you've just got Logi's hackles up there! :laugh:

:D

If the free multiroom doesn't come off, then to save faffing about with a laptop (which presumably you will want to use for other things too), a budget tablet might be worth considering, and leaving there as a dedicated device.

You can probably get an Android tablet that's up to the job for £50 - £100 and just leave it connected. For convenience, you can install the free "Cheapcast" app and control the tablet from bed using your phone as a smart remote. This would have the bonus features of playing any other online content that the tablet supports (YouTube etc) as well as any locally stored content.

I've done exactly this with a cheap chi-pad before I got a smart TV, and it works great.

I'm liking the sound of this, thanks for that idea black lion. Does the android device connect wirelessly via a dongle or with a wire?

I'm liking the sound of this, thanks for that idea black lion. Does the android device connect wirelessly via a dongle or with a wire?

If you have to ask......................:thumbsdow

Guessing he means the tablet idea (not the bamboo stylus :) )

If so then the tablet would connect to TV via HDMI and to the Internet via wifi (in the same way I assume the laptop would).

Sky Go works on a lot of Androids now, but not anything that's been rooted, or not easily anyway. The other bit (using the phone as a remote) - you install the Cheapcast app and saves you being in front of the tablet when you want to change content.

So you need a tablet that will:

1. Offer HDMI out
2. Support Sky Go
3. Be potent enough to support the task at hand.

On point 3 this doesn't need to be anything amazing, but to be safe I'd say buy from somewhere with a reasonable returns policy)

Something like this should be just fine. My chi-pad had the same chipset and worked AOK.

Worth shopping around, some absolute steals second hand as people upgrade these things all the time.

EDIT: Cheapcast may not be the app I was thinking of (its not set up at the moment so I can't check). In any case there are a number of free android apps that will do what I have suggested including this one

Last edited:
Yep got it now thanks - now I've re-read your posts blacklion. I was imagining cheapcast was something like a dodgy version of Chromecast to begin with.

Thanks for your help too Stevenage Neil :thumbsdow

Aah, it is a cheap version of Chromecast, using an MHL cable instead of a dongle, will investigate further :)

Pretty sure Sky Go won't output via HDMI to from a tablet. Sky intentionally disabled that function unfortunately.

how much is sky go and how does it compare to Now TV?

If you have an LG smart TV it comes with Now TV installed.

how much is sky go .....

Sky Go is free. Sky Go+, (ability to download for later viewing, is also free with a multiroom subscription)

I was doing research on putting a new cable and learnt about how to get two TVs working on Sky with paying Sky any more money. You just need extra wires and to change the thing that sticks out on the dish. So right now it's two band (they probably changed it to that are people did the same). So two wires comes out from outside and go into your Sky box. Satellite to Sky. With the quad band LMB, the thing that sticks out, you can have room for two extra wires. You simply connect that to a second Sky box in the kids room and you're sorted. Obviously connect that up to the TV. With those separate wires you can control the upstairs TV with changing channels on the bottom on. So both can be independent.

Obviously Sky won't like it but them. I don't know about the Sky viewing card but there are so many ways to get Sky without paying Sky that it could probably be done too.

The easy way is Sky Go but I suggest having a good broadband connection in that case. I have Sky broadband and Sky Go will cut out and buffer if one person is using it and the other two are on the web doing other intensive things. That'll probably happen at some point with everyone getting tablets and learning how to use computers etc.

Anyway just a random thing I picked up while looking for something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously Sky won't like it but bugger them. I don't know about the Sky viewing card but there are so many ways to get Sky without paying Sky that it could probably be done too.

What you've tried to describe is the same setup as multiroom, but without a subscription so you'll only get the free channels. The dish is yours and Sky won't care that you've added cables or changed the LNB (if required).

There are not numerous ways to get Sky subscription channels without paying and the limited options that do exist cannot be discussed on this forum.

Ah didn't realise, good thing I didn't mention them then. We're considering one of them but yeah, there are big risks. In regards to multi-room I think it's an extra £11 per month so depending on the package you have it may be worth the increase. I guess it only gets too expensive it most people eyes when they have a full package and it starts hitting £80, for me anyway.

I just noticed that signing up as a new customers makes my deal cheaper. Time for a phone call me thinks.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom