Best way to watch dvd old/new

Back in the day

Standard Member
Hi i am new on this forum.

When i was young i watched dvds on my
Ps2 on a 480i old thick telivision.

Later i buyed a real marantz dvd player i was suprised how much better the colors and picture Quality was.

Today i buyed a very very very large dvd collection.
And i was wondering what really is the best way to watch dvd's on a budget.

I am now using a 1080p samsung cheap model tv with a ps3 using upscaling.

I also have a weakspot for old equipment.
And was wondering if a old player that once was very exspensive like a marantz dv9600.
Whould improve the quality.
Compared to say a budget modern blueray player.

Or even take it a additional step back and try to find the best old 480p telivision"ever made
And combine it with the top of the line dvd player at that time i whould love the nostalgia.
And it whould be the original the way dvd was intended.

If anyone thinks its a cool idee what whould be the
1 best upscale dvd player.
2 best normal dvd player
3 best old tv to look at.

Brand model nrs.
Thank you a lot for your suggestions.

atmoscinema

Try getting hold of a Blu-ray disc and play that in the PS3.

See what you think of the picture quality.

gibbsy

I am now using a 1080p samsung cheap model tv
Ultimately that is going to be the major player in how good your picture will look not so much the player. You could have the best player in the world connected to a cheap TV and the picture will always look poor. Go for the best TV you can afford as most likely it's upscaling powers will be even better than the DVD player.

Back in the day

Standard Member
Ultimately that is going to be the major player in how good your picture will look not so much the player. You could have the best player in the world connected to a cheap TV and the picture will always look poor. Go for the best TV you can afford as most likely it's upscaling powers will be even better than the DVD player.
Thank you for you awnser is there anything i should look for in the spec list that makes a tv very good at the upscaling from a dvd a certain chip set or somthing

gibbsy

If you watch a lot of old DVDs then you do not want a TV that is too big. Unless the DVD is good quality it can look poor on TVs over 50''. Most TVs are now 4K and so the upscaling from 567 is very big indeed. That is why you need a TV with excellent upscaling abilities. The diagram below shows you how much is involved.
This-simple-scale-gives-a-sense-of-perspective-to-how-all-the-different-resolutions-compare-to...png

Back in the day

Standard Member
If you watch a lot of old DVDs then you do not want a TV that is too big. Unless the DVD is good quality it can look poor on TVs over 50''. Most TVs are now 4K and so the upscaling from 567 is very big indeed. That is why you need a TV with excellent upscaling abilities. The diagram below shows you how much is involved.View attachment 1439578
Hi thank you again for the reply.
with this in mind i chooce to live 10 years back in time when it comes to technologie for financial reasons.

And will not look at 4k content in the next 5-7 years.

I will play a lot of dvd's and play videogames at 1080p

With this in mind i was looking at the best tv's that came out in 2012 before 4k telivisions where launged i a want a 55 inch+/-

I came up with this list.
Panasonic tc-p55vt50
Sharp pro60x5fd
Sony xbr55hx950
Samsung e8000.

These where €3000+ telivisions in 2012
But are now less then €500 on the second hand market and was wondering how these tv's would perform vs a modern 55inch4k €800 televison (not that i want to spend that kind of money but i guess thats a more fair way to look at it taking total lifespan into consideration)

Because specs don't always tell the full story.
Coming from the audio world.

Ty again for your help + have a nice day

gibbsy

I'm a big fan of the Panasonic plasma TVs having owned a 50VT65. That should be on your list as well if you can find one. I owned one for five years before I sold it and got a 65'' Panasonic OLED. They are capable of very good upscaling and your DVDs will look good on them.

I believe it would beat a €800 4K. Yes I believe so. You would have to replace those plasma with a top of the line Panasonic OLED as I did. The Panasonic would be my choice.

Back in the day

Standard Member
I'm a big fan of the Panasonic plasma TVs having owned a 50VT65. That should be on your list as well if you can find one. I owned one for five years before I sold it and got a 65'' Panasonic OLED. They are capable of very good upscaling and your DVDs will look good on them.

I believe it would beat a €800 4K. Yes I believe so. You would have to replace those plasma with a top of the line Panasonic OLED as I did. The Panasonic would be my choice.
Thank you for your help i got a below 50 inch like you said i choose lcd samsung 8000 46 inch because of the longer lifespan and lower wattage and the denon 3930 dvd-player with amp not a lot of money spend and no punishmend to watch dvds now.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Attachments

• IMG_20210131_154801_1.jpg
    IMG_20210131_154801_1.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Back in the day

Standard Member
System upgrade on a budget complete.
All i need now is wait 200 days for a ps4 when the price drops drasticly on the second hand market.

samsung ue46d8000 tv
Swanson diva 5.2f speakers
Denon dvd 3930
Denon avr 4306
------------------------------------------------

Total spend 750

Attachments

• IMG-20210201-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20210201-WA0008.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-20210201-WA0010.jpeg
    IMG-20210201-WA0010.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 15

Back in the day

Standard Member
After speaker and lisening position placment my living room is very tiny now i don't mind
Just never have visitors.

The video of dvd might be outdate but the sound very happy enjoying my kraftwerk dvd a lot.

Attachments

• IMG-20210201-WA0013.jpeg
    IMG-20210201-WA0013.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 14

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom