Best way to view Sky?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by wafc, Jul 22, 2005.

1. wafc

wafc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    What are peoples views on the best method of viewing Sky digital through an lcd tv, or any tv for that matter? :confused:

I am using RGB Scart lead (low quality) through a 26" lcd screen but the picture often looks very digital or pixelated, not sure how to describe it but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Assuming the installation is good and you are receiving a solid interference free signal in the first place then what you are seeing are digital artifacts in the image thanks to the less than optimal bitrates used on many digital channels which are being enhanced by the LCD as the image resolution is increased.

Get a jpg and double it's size and you will get a good idea of what is going on.
    PQ issues in the enlarged image are created since there simply is not enough picture information present in the original to enlarge it without consequence.
    I suspect when you feed the LCD via RGB scart from a DVD source the picture is far better?
    That is down to the DVD source being of better quality to begin with.

I have a 32" LCD which for 90% of the channels on SKY D does an excellent job but like most things the LCD's are not all created equal and once make/model may process a source better than another.

You can try a better quality scart and just make sure you are feeding RGB from the digibox to a RGB in socket on the LCD. That aside what are the pictures like on a "normal" CRT, if you have such a beast:)

3. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
  4. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I have a 32" Sammy LCD & V1 Sky+ box. It too looked bad via RGB Scart so I tried a good quality gold plated Ixos S-Video-SVideo Lead. The picture is now very good. Worth a try but be aware you lose the ratio autoswitching.

:)

5. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi wafc

it probably isnt Sky that is the problem, it is the conversion of the video in to a digital format for your LCD that is the most likely suspect. What is the model of the screen that you are running? If it has PC style connections (eg VGA) then chances are you will get a better picture if you can drive it through that instead. If you need more help then just drop us a line..

regards