1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to upgrade multiple speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SeeNoWeevil, Oct 21, 2003.

1. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +873
    I expect most people, myself included can't afford to upgrade all channels at once so what is the best way to go about it?

One thing that may be a problem is manufacturers dont make their products forever, im not sure how long the average life cycle of a speakers is or if its really a problem.

I have all series 2 B&W's, for example would a series 3 speakers blend in well tonally with the older s2's?

What do people mean when they talk about a tonal match, do they mean similar frequency responses? what is the actual differences between two tonally different speakers, physically speaking?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It isn't really about frequency response but about voice matching. In a surround sound environment voices and other sounds will pan across the soundstage and you don't want the voices to change halfway across as the speakers are different.

Unfortunately I am not an expert on B&W so can't answer your specific question

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I wouldn't say I'm an expert on B&W either,but have heard quite a few and do use them.

I'd expect given the overall voicing of them,that you'd have little problem going with later models from the same range,or moving up a range.

Obviously,the easiest and best way is to loan a set from your local dealer and try them in your own system before buying.

4. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +873
    thanks guys, so you think merging in some CDM's into my current 600 S2's would sound ok?

I'm still curious as to what voicing actually means in a technical sense?

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    In a technical sense,from a practical point of view it means very little.....what it does mean is how the speaker sounds in terms of tonal balances....bright/bass heavy/etc....

I would have thought the CDM or 700 range would be well worth looking at,and maybe upgrade the fronts/centre first.

6. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +873
    Surely this all boils down to a differing freq. response?

I currently have 602's at the front, 601's at the rear and a CC6 centre. I plan to first replace the CC6 for a CDM CNT and put the CC6 in the centre rear, then replace the 602's.

Thanks