Best way to transfer all contacts, data, texts, app etc from 3GS to iP4?

fewie225

Hi guys, as per the thread title really. How can I transfer everything from my 3GS to my iPhone 4 when it arrives? Obviously I can create a back up of my 3GS and the use this to "restore" my ip4 but will this take everything over? I'm concerned about my contacts info primarily, but keeping the old text strings and sent email history would be nice too.

I'm selling the 3GS to my local CEX tomorrow so the solution I need must work without having both phones at the same time. I'm sure there be 100's on here in the same boat this week so maybe we could turn the thread into a little "how to" for iNoobs like myself!

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Check the boxes that Sync's with Outlook :) that is your friend

Check box in iTunes to sync with Outlook
Sync phone
Once done open up Outlook
At the top click on GO the CONTACTS
Observe all your iPhone contacts which you can then save :)

forget about the texts and email history

norealplan

I posted this in another thread:

"I originally got an 8gb iPhone back when they very first came out. Then I got a 16gb original, then I got 16gb 3G. Each and every time I've just backed up my iPhone via iTunes, connected my new iPhone to iTunes and chosen the option to restore from that backup.

What amazed me was how pretty much every copies over, from text messages to date usage, to even alarms that you've set.

In regards to other items like, apps, music, video then these all just sync via iTunes.

If you've got MobileMe/Gmail setup, it should just copy over that information, and all your contacts, calendars, and email should just work straight away. If not, worse case scenario is you just type in your MobileMe/Gmail settings on the new iPhone, and wait for all your information to be pushed through.

To delete stuff from the old iPhone before selling, go to "settings", then "general", then "reset" right at the bottom. Then choose "erase all content and settings".

Trust me, first time I was going to do it, I was like "oh my god this is going take me ages to get my new iPhone setup just like my old". 10 minutes later, I just loved Apple a tiny bit more, as once again, they showed how great they make the user experience.

If you have any more questions please free to ask."

Prav

Novice Member
Will this work if you've previously backed up to a iphone OS 3.1 but are restoring to the iOS 4? I imagine would surely?

Wii60KiD

Will this work if you've previously backed up to a iphone OS 3.1 but are restoring to the iOS 4? I imagine would surely?

Shirley it would! I can't imagine Apple would of overlooked this, I hope not cause that's the boat I'm in.

hutch

Distinguished Member
Ive had problems restoring a backup of the latest firmware to 4.0 so wouldnt fancy your chances!

Wii60KiD

Ive had problems restoring a backup of the latest firmware to 4.0 so wouldnt fancy your chances!
Oh well I better gather all my **** together and check it's all still on my MacBook somewhere, I'm sure it is so should just take a little time to set it back up.

velvet01

Standard Member
Of course it has what other phones have. It can also send text messages not only for music or entertainment use only. :p

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom