best way to terminate using these b plugs?

kroc_kroc

I just received these plugs from maplin:

link

I've looked around one here and the net and there seems to be 2 main ways to use them.What'sthe best way to use them? Please describe in detail as I am a newbie :)

The 2 ways I've seen so far are:

1. Wire in the side,tighten and crimp

2.Wire in the end, pull strands around edges like up turned mop, then screw on the top

Which way is best?

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
hey there,

your link dont go nowhere....invalid page...lol

i'm guessing you got banana plugs?..heh

usually there are two types, one is where you push the wire in, screw down 1 or 2 screws to keep the wire in, then usually run a plastic sheath over the bit you hold when you push it in to the terminal for safetys sake....the other type is the airloc type, there is no screw, you either push in the wire then solder it in, or use a crimping tool to seal it in, altho you need to do it carefully, do it wrong and you'll sever the copper/silver cabling...lol

get a working link up so folks can tell you whats right...heh

(btw the screw ones sometimes are straight, sometimes bent, depends on the type as to how you treat it...)

kroc_kroc

link is now fixed.

you can see the plugs i've got if you view the links.

mine is neither of the 2 you mentioned.

i just don't know what's the best way to use these ones?

12 promises

kroc_kroc said:
link is now fixed.

you can see the plugs i've got if you view the links.

mine is neither of the 2 you mentioned.

i just don't know what's the best way to use these ones?
these look like some i have in my graveyard..........they are absolute crap.
side entry through the hole and tighten down the internal plunger bit.

suggest you give them a swerve.:thumbsdow

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
aye, dont use them, get some normal nana plugs, ones where you go in the rear (oh err missus)

7oaks do them, if you buy a bundle they normally do you a discount....or find them online, usually half the price of 7oaks...lol

kroc_kroc

"12 promises"–please explain why you think they are crap?

The ones I've got do give you an option to go in the rear. They have 2 options in case you want to input 2 wires:1 in the side and one in the rear.That was my question: Should I go from the side or the rear? and if I go from the rear what's the best way to insert the wire? I think they are called tension plugs?

12 promises

i found them to be very awkward to work with and getting the cable to make a satisfactory contact was a bit of a hit and miss.
however i may just be ham-fisted and if you find them satifactory for your needs then good on you.
i used them as side entry cos i was not happy with the contact being made secure enough when inserting the cable from the rear.
unless you are very careful there is a possibility of speaker cables touching and shorting when inserted via side entry.
in my opinion if you are using side entry bananas then you are just as well going straight into the binding post.

kroc_kroc

Cheeers for clearing that up "12 promises"

Can you let me know what you'd recommend instead then?

kroc_kroc

16 for the fronts to start with.

And it's definately not wise to use the ones I have with the insert wire into bottom and bend the strands back onto the plug – seems like you weaken the wire this way although it may provide a lot of contact area?

kroc_kroc

PS

I've attached a pdf of the methodology I was going to use for my existing plugs (finally I found a pictorial route to explain the method). I wish I had found this at the start – what are your views if I was to use my existing plugs and wire them this way? please let me know any advantages/disadvantages?

Attachments

12 promises

if you can get the cable to stay in position then fine,they will work.
but my own experience of this type of connector is that splaying the cable strands make them liable to breaking and therefore less contact is made.
i also tried a monster cable version which is a lot more expensive and they were just as bad.
have a look at maplins bananas code l86az and l87az.
simple rear entry banana with grub screw fastening .:thumbsup:

however since you have spent a lot of dosh on 16 of them better to give them a go.

kroc_kroc

12 promises said:
if you can get the cable to stay in position then fine,they will work.
but my own experience of this type of connector is that splaying the cable strands make them liable to breaking and therefore less contact is made.
i also tried a monster cable version which is a lot more expensive and they were just as bad.
have a look at maplins bananas code l86az and l87az.
simple rear entry banana with grub screw fastening .:thumbsup:

however since you have spent a lot of dosh on 16 of them better to give them a go.
I was thinking of those from Maplin. I have spoken to Maplin and they have said they willtake them back. I may pick them up or the standard ones from SSAV.