1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best way to tell if new sub is working, cannot get a peep out of it

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mick23, Jun 19, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    have connected sub to 3802 have tried small and large settings for fronts lfe and lfe +main cannot seem to get anything out of the sub at all have tried playing a cd , pl2 with vcr tape have not tried a dvd as i have no dvd films at present i normally hire a film, do not want to lug sub back to rs unless i am sure it is not working thank you

2. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    use the test tone signal

3. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you subwoofer set to yes in the speaker configuration and connected it to either sub pre out or the speaker terminals of the front speakers? Is the subwoofer on, is the volume at the subwoofer not at zero?
    Just some possibilityes.
    Good luck.

4. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    settings as follows sub connected to pre out s/b woofer terminal on 3802 i have tried both red phono and white phono side of pre out ,speakers set to small lfe only, sub is on orange indicater light on front off sub glowing , in set up s/woofer set to yes crossover 80hz sub level set to half volume, but i am not getting test tone through sub in either auto or manual channel levels, was told by denon tech that some subs have indicater light that shows when sub is recieving signal from amp , the manual of sub does not give info on this, sub is connected to amp by a SINGLE PHONO LEAD to either red or white phono pre out on denon assume this is correct thanks again

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Double check this. The pre-out should be labelled SW or SUB. Theres only one set of Pre-outs on this amp. Make sure its connected to the correct socket and not the subwoofer input of the 8CH External Decoder inputs.

6. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i set speakers to small lfe only sub connected to correct preout,crossover 80hz running manual test tone level up or down db indicater does not move, playing a cd and rotating sub output level to maximum and down again i can hear the sub is producing bass, stranger posted a reply that he connected his paradigm 10 at high level not sure if this can be done on my pdr8 as there is only lfe phono socket and L/R SPEAKER CONNECTIONS perhaps i was expecting a lot more bass from this smallish sub thank you all

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The sub should produce sufficient bass so either there is a fault on the sub or cable or else you haven't set it up properly.

From what you have described, it has been set up correctly but when you say that it produces bass at maximum, how much are you talking about - in descriptive terms rather than decibels

8. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    now i dunno if i missed something but........

you`ve only played a cd and a video through them both of which are not 5.1 - does this not mean that you are not getting a .1 signal into the amp to send to the sub, or does dpl2 route bass to the sub with speakers set to small aswell?(i havent got dpl2 or a sub at mo so i`m just guessing here)

if you set the sub up at high level with fronts does it work?, or try sending the pre out from the fronts to the sub to see if it works (with fronts set to large.)

hope this helps

rob

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    This has got me stumped, the onscreen db level indicator (fuel gauges) for the SW should be moving. :confused:

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    DPL2 should route bass to the sub as well.

To test cable disconnect the lead and use one of the phono cables from VCR or CD.

If it now works it will be the cable that's faulty

11. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just borrowed (the sphere on dvd) tried sub only with the sub output level at 75% or more could an increase in bass be dicernably i know the sub should not overshadow the fronts etc but i thought a sub would give much more bass. is the sub volume level totally controlled by the sub alone? although fuel gauge level for sub volume in denon setup does not alter, i do get a (rumble)from the sub which increases or decreases when remote volume up or down is used, so at the end of all this even if sub level volume is at near nigh at max output it is the only way i can dicern that there is any difference in having a sub or not.i have never had a demo of any subs or heard one so i am not sure what differance it should make thank you

12. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not that familiar with the denon but i'd say you are conecting to the wrong pre-out on the amp, isn't s/b surround back? have acheck with atorch or pull your amp out-get this conection right first or whatever you do after won't make a difference. when the sub works you'll know it.

13. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sub volume is there to calibrate it with your av amp - when you turn your av amp up, the sub will go up too......when you say 75% output is that on the amp? - if so increase it to 100% that is full output....

have you looked through your manuals for help?

personally i`d try the speaker connections....

rob

14. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    tried another phono cable my connection to 3802 preout s/w is correct when i run test tone manual or auto i get the test tone for the speakers ok , but no simular test tone comes from the sub, the manual for sub is not clear and covers all sorts of different conections and no troubleshooting info thank you all

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    When my sub broke, the test tones also wouldn't work. I would guess that the sub was broken but you say you can hear something so it can't be.

Most odd.

You say that you can hear a rumble which you shouldn't. If the sub is set up correctly you shouldn't be able to hear anything coming from it even though it is providing extra oomph.

Play a juicy bit from sphere with the sub on and then switch it off. There should be a big difference.

Failing that, I'm also stumped.

As a matter of interest the phase sitch on mine was broken in transit which was why it didn't work so check that as well.

16. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Mick

What is the db setting on the SW channel in the Channel Levels menu?? +3,+12, -4 ???

17. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i emailed paradigm re pdr8 got reply take single phono lead from a cd or dvd player connect to sub lfe input and play cd or dvd, this i have done sub output level knob has only to be turned a very small amount from minimum to get bass from sub ,the crossover knob only has to be turned a little to increase bass, i now need to veryfi wether everything is ok with denon , if i tell denon it has no center rears etc and disconect fronts only leaving the sub connected to denon and play a dvd if denon is working ok i should get somthing from the sub, i should add when playing a cd i had to be within about 3-4 feet of the sub to hear it ok thank you

18. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Mick

Have you tried resetting the processor, just in case its a glitch. Make sure you write down all your speaker delay distances before you do it. To reset hold down both the Stereo and Direct buttons whilst pressing the Power ON button. The display will flash a couple of times. Then go back and re-input your speaker delay distances etc and balance all your levels again.

I dont see why turning the Surround backs off etc will make any difference. Its easier to start from scratch.

If after this the sub still doesnt work & the Onscreen SW channel level "fuel gauge" indicator doesnt move, there must be a problem with the amp.

19. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    have reset denon from scratch ,entered all settings and channel levels etc set speakers with spl to 75db, fuel gauge display on 3802 still does not rise or fall when setting subwoofer channel level, but what does increase or decrease is what i describe as a (low rumble type sound) when remote +or- volume buttons are used, anyway set (rumble ) from sub to 75db speakers all small, lfe only sub 80hz crossover, sub yes played r2 of seven dvd set to dts discreet, played opening credits (up to where the metronome ticks) which has quite a bit of bass adjusted sub tried playing dvd , sub on /off etc and still had job telling wether the sub was making any improvment to the sound at all, i phoned 7-oaks where i purchased speakers asked about sub info, the rumble from sub in set up was normal, still not sure if denon is doing what is supposed to do as regaurds sub thanks all

20. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Mick

The SW level gauge should be moving, as it isnt, take the amp back, it needs to be looked at or replaced. If its under guarantee they should replace it straightaway.

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Mick,

It's a shame that more members don't put their location in the profile.

It's a long shot but if you live in the Midlands you could always drag your sub over to my place and attach it to my system and at least then we would know whether it was the sub or amp that was faulty.

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam,
    I heard you have a nice system, as my hospital is in the Midlands can I come and attach a few discs to your system. I promise not to bring Chompy along.

23. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Not likely. The offer is only open to sane people.

24. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    set crossover on denon to120hz s/w can now adjust db level up or down, but if i set crossover to 100hz or 80hz no movment of db channel level, could this still be (glitch) with amp, tried dvd there seems to be a slight improvment in bass etc,

25. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Still sounds like a glitch Mick, you should be able to adjust the SW Level regardless of the crossover setting.

Bit of a weird problem, never heard of it before.:confused:

26. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    did complete reset again ,can now adjust s/w level up or down fuel gauge moves, i set all speakers and sub at the same level,played dvd, still had to turn sub output just short of maximum to hear bass from sub ,and still had to put ear right in front of sub to hear it anyway , mate came round sat in listening position i turned sub on and off , up and down, neither he or myself could notice more enhanced sound or bass etc with sub on.i think i will have to take sub back ,get them to try it with one of there amps etc thank you

27. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i set crossover on denon to 80hz, set front speakers to large and used lfe+main setting, played chris reas road to hell cd with crossover setting on sub to about 90hz ,sub output about 75% i can tell the sub is working ok plenty of bass, turn sub of ,the difference is very noticible was using sterio mode on denon (not direct) if i set speakers small lfe only and play a dvd (sphere or r2 seven) cant tell difference with sub on or off , any suggestions as to why this might be so , there is referance in 3802 manual page 29 something about sub limiter etc do not quite follow this, can someone suggest a dvd with loads of bass etc to try, thank you all once again for help

28. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi Mick

Strange that the bass disappears when all speakers are set to small. Very odd.

Dvd´s with good bass are U571, Top Gun, The Haunting, Fast & the Furious, Star Wars The Phanton Menace, to name a few.

Does the 3802 have a Subwoofer Peak Level Limiter?? If so, leave it switched OFF. Got one on my Denon but never had the need to use it.

If the system works well with the Fronts set to Large and bass to LFE/MAIN then leave it like that, still cant explain why the speakers set to small doesn´t work properly unless theres a fault with the amps bass management??

Cheers

29. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK you've balanced the sound to 75db from all speakers including the sub, using the test tones.

When you are playing a DD or DTS movie - Press the Surround Parameters button on the remote. What level have you got the LFE channel set to on this menu. Set it to '0' and you should get enough bass. Note - there are distinct settings for DTS and DD. This setting is independant to the standard Channel level settings.

As stated above, make sure the dynamic limiter setting is off.