Best way to sync another iphone, new account or same? confused please help!

SugarSpike

Standard Member
Hello, Im sure this has been asked lots of times, had a quick google but so many different answers.

Right, I have an iphone 5 all lovely and synced up to my itunes account, syncs automatically etc, no problems.

My son has just been given his uncles old iphone 3gs without a sim card so it can be used for music and apps..basically its now like an itouch.
He is eventually going to want to get some more apps,music etc

So whats going to happen when I plug it into my laptop?

Now I know one option is to have a separate windows account with a separate itunes and apple id, however I do not want to have to buy everything twice.

Ideally I would need it to be on my itunes and manually sync some of my stuff to his phone, but not all, its there an easy way to do this.

His phone still has some apps and music left on there by his uncle, would it be easier to wipe it clean before syncing? as they were bought with his ID.

Im very very cautious wth this sort of thing....terrified of losing all my stuff or something!

I dont really use icloud(dont really understand it), its on with a few things switched to on, but my icloud backup is off, I think this was because when I turned it on it said not enough space, so never bothered with it.does this affect the 2nd device at all?

RobM

Distinguished Member
Wipe it clean first, as you won't be able to Sync with iTunes otherwise. You also won't be able to update any Apps without his Uncles iTunes account details.

Then you can sync it with your iTunes on your PC but also your iTunes account as a new and independent device, without any impact to your own iPhone 5. You can choose to sync different Apps, music and other content as all of this is based on the phone, not the account. If he then adds or deletes something, it affects his own phone only, not yours.

SugarSpike

Standard Member
Thank you, I thought that would be the best way.
Ive unchecked the option to auto sync(as my phone always did), no biggy, I will just have to remember to manually sync mine when I plug it in.

I just plugged his in to see what would happen, it didnt do anything thank god, but all the options on the music tab are greyed out, on the apps tab theres a screen shot of his phone and apps but on the left a list of my apps as normal but greyed out also, Im asssuming this is because his were purchased under a different account, and I cant put mine on to his

So Im going to restore his phone, is it best to restore it from the phone or plug it in and restore once plugged in through itunes(as my friend just suggested)?

RobM

Distinguished Member
Either option will work, the only real difference is if you restore via iTunes it will take a backup first and if you're not running the latest version of iOS available, it will prompt you to update. Otherwise the two options give the same end result.

And you're right, the iTunes options will be greyed out because it being sync'd with somebody else's iTunes.

SugarSpike

Standard Member
Thanks so much,
Restored his on the phone, then plugged in, asked if I wanted to set up as new iphone or restore from backup, so I set up as new, and synced certain apps and a playlist we created for his music, all seems to have gone fine, plugged mine back in at same time and it didnt prompt me for anything so all ok :smashin:

RobM

Distinguished Member
Happy Days! It's quite a quick learning curve fortunately, so glad it was hassle free :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom