Question Best way to stream music to Xeo 10 speakers?

Bui

Novice Member
Hello, I'm a newbie, and I register my account today to ask you a question hopefully I can have good advices from you.

For many years, we have been happy with a cheap Sony sound bar at home, and recently a Marshall Stockwell for travelling. The main, or only way has been Bluetooth streaming from our mobile phones with Spotify or Amazon Music. We listen mostly to classical music, concert, some Jazz, and kid music for our 6 yr daughter.

Recently the daughter has been showing more interest in music, she loves practicing with her piano, and listening to music. And also I have bought a few good headphones and earphones along the time, all of these start to make the Sony soundbar found wanting. I want better music quality, and for this Christmas I decided to invest in a Dynaudio Xeo 10 pair of bluetooth speakers, after a lot of reading on internet and forums. The reason: it fits my budget, I don't want to spend more than 1k, and among a few candidates (KEF LSX for example), this one offered the best Black Friday deal. I know this Xeo does not offer wifi, but reviews said its bluetooth performance is very good, which is also our favourite way (whatever I bought it must be wife-friendly or it will be a no). I hope it will be a good investment, I did not have any real audition, since with Covid and the lockdown in our country, doing it is quite risky.

Now in waiting for it to arrive, comes the question: do I need to invest in a bluetooth supported streaming device? (No wired thing because my wife hates seeing wires). Are our phones good enough to exploit the potential of this expensive speaker? We also have a Amazon Echo Dot that our daughter loves to ask for her favourite music, is this little device capable of (good quality) streaming to the Xeo (this Echo dot is pretty basic and its own speaker is awful)? Or should I invest in something better, and Alexa compatible?

Thank you :)

Bui

Novice Member
Edit: I can make a compromise by putting the Echo Dot next to the Master speaker, and use a 3.5mm cable to connect them. Would it be better (than using bluetooth)?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
For the Xeo 10 you would be better getting it with the bundled Connect box. This provides wifi access, streaming and ability to connect other devices (cd/turntebale etc.). Cheaper to get this added in as a bundle with the speakers than buying separately.

Bui

Novice Member
Hi Ugg10 thank you for your suggestion. It's too late as I already ordered the XEO 10, but I can consider adding the Connect box if it's worth it. We're in no way audiophiles, and we're not very picky when it comes to sound quality, though of course we can distinguish the sound between a cheap 50 euros portable speaker, and a more "proper" stereo one, and after spending nearly 1k for a new speakers, we certainly wish to be able to make the best out of it (within acceptable constrain). What benefit would such box bring, aside from convenience? Would the different in sound quality noticeable?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
I would use the bluetooth on your phone and see how you find it. If you want to experiment, the Dot has an analogue 3.5mm out so you can connect this into the back of the Xeo10 and see how that sounds, may be worth the convenience for your daughter. If you have a dvd/cd player with a digital out you can also try plugging that in and listening to a CD and comparing that to streaming from your phone on amazon music/spotify and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Paul7777x

Hi Bui.

I’m sure you’ll be delighted with the Dynaudios.

Very few companies can match Dynaudios experience and high class pedigree with active speakers.

Are there any of those Alexa things with an optical output?

That will take all the guesswork away.

Paul7777x

Edit: I can make a compromise by putting the Echo Dot next to the Master speaker, and use a 3.5mm cable to connect them. Would it be better (than using bluetooth)?

I’ve tried my brothers Alexa thing into my hifi, for a laugh.

It was truly awful. Flat and without joy.

If you can find something that supports Alexa and has an optical output then that would be significantly better.

Any decent Bluetooth sender will be much better. Certainly phones from the last few years are very good with Bluetooth.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Are there any of those Alexa things with an optical output?

The echo link does but has limitations, needs a dot on the same network to give it commends e.g. Alexa, Play Beastie Boys Sabotage on Echo Link. Digital output seem to be limited to 16/44 which is a little odd given the push on Amazon Music HD plus it is not cheap. However interesting product as a digital preamp. Maybe v2 will sort it out.

Amazon productView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Echo-Link/dp/B07FR66D24/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Echo%2Blink&qid=1607377425&sr=8-1&th=1

Bui

Novice Member
Thanks for commenting, I have the Echo Dot already, but for example adding the Echo Link, and using the Dot to command, would the music be actually streamed from the Link? Or it would still be played on the Dot and transferred to the Link? Now I'm thinking maybe using the 3.5mm jack is not that good of an idea, since the built in DAC of the Dot is not likely to be remarkable.

The more I read, the more I'm confused. For example, for my Xeo speakers, they suggest to buy the Xeo Connect, which "sends lossless audio signal to the Xeo speakers", okay, sounds good, but it also connects to my phone via Bluetooth and received the music stream from there. So what's the difference between streaming directly from my phone to the speakers, and my phone to the Xeo Connect, then the Connect to the speakers?

Still don't understand at all whether a dedicated streamer would be a good addition, or I can simply live with streaming from phone/iPad by Bluetooth.

Paul7777x

The only real issue is a good quality Alexa source for your daughter. It may be that she is happy with the 3.5mm output from the echo...

Before I spent anymore money I’d spend a month using Bluetooth from your phones. Bluetooth is not a poor connection, it’s simply that there are better ones.

But, assuming Dynaudio have sorted the Bluetooth input well, and I’d guess they certainly have, then your phones and tablets may be all you need.

If you decide that Bluetooth is not good enough for you then that would be the time to look at streamers.

The Yamaha WXAD-10 is the least expensive serious streamer I’m aware of.

And it is a truly tiny box so your wife can hide it such that it is invisible.

Paul7777x

Thanks for commenting, I have the Echo Dot already, but for example adding the Echo Link, and using the Dot to command, would the music be actually streamed from the Link? Or it would still be played on the Dot and transferred to the Link? Now I'm thinking maybe using the 3.5mm jack is not that good of an idea, since the built in DAC of the Dot is not likely to be remarkable.

The more I read, the more I'm confused. For example, for my Xeo speakers, they suggest to buy the Xeo Connect, which "sends lossless audio signal to the Xeo speakers", okay, sounds good, but it also connects to my phone via Bluetooth and received the music stream from there. So what's the difference between streaming directly from my phone to the speakers, and my phone to the Xeo Connect, then the Connect to the speakers?

Still don't understand at all whether a dedicated streamer would be a good addition, or I can simply live with streaming from phone/iPad by Bluetooth.

There would be no difference streaming from your phone to the Connect box.

Hi resolution is a dubious subject at best in any case.

If you are going to use some source capable of say, 24\96 then the connect box might make sense.

But from your description of likely use, then I’d suggest the Yamaha above is the most cost effective good quality option.

muljao

You can probably find a chromecast audio on fleabay. It has a digital optical output and is usb powered. I think the dynaudios have a usb, not sure if they can power something. This unit is tiny, so small in fact with a small usb you could just leave it hang out of the speaker back.

If you're do spotify or streaming sources this should be an improvement on any bluetooth source. If you want to stream from a pc etc you can use a third party app. The chromecast supports up to better than cd quality audio

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom