Best way to stream internet radio?

LJC07

Established Member
Reaction score
Currently to stream internet radio I have 3 options; stream it from a Grace Digital 'Primo Wireless Internet Radio' connected to my NAD amp via phono cables or by streaming from the Tune-in app on my phone via Bluetooth to a Logitech bluetooth adaptor also connected to the NAD. I could also connect my Amazon echo Show 8 to the amp.

I'm wondering how much improvement in sound quality I'd get with a dedicated streamer such as the Bluesound Node 2i or Audiolab 6000N? As I understand it they're both controlled via an App on your phone but streamed via your home network which is what the Grace Digital Primo or Amazon echo do. So what are the benefits of a 'proper' streamer; is it the quality of the internal components ?

Assuming they are accessing the exact same internet radio streams, then yes - especially as you are connecting to the NAD amp via analogue line-in, so relying completely on the internet radio 'tuner' and/or any associated hardware to convert the digital audio signal that comes from (digital) internet radio to analogue. Also bear in mind audio delivered by Bluetooth is a lossy process, so is inferior compared to standard network WiFi, say, as a wireless digital audio data delivery method.

Last edited:
Further to my earlier post, I've been dithering as to whether to get the Bluesound but need to make a decision as the demise of the Reciva platform has made my internet radio almost defunct.

At the moment I've linked my Amazon Echo Show 8 to my amp which is ok but purely for listening to internet radio, is the Bluesound overkill?

Whether the Bluesound is overkill or not depends on how many of its features you would use.

If you are simply looking to get a good quality audio signal from internet radio into your NAD amplifier then a used Chromecast Audio (CCA) off eBay is all you need. An audio only device, it picks up the internet stream directly via Wi-FI from your router. Your phone acts only as the remote control for it. For example, in the Tunein Radio app, you select your station and the hit the cast icon within the Tunein app - one button press and that’s it. The CCA now picks up the stream directly and converts it to an analogue output. Change station on your phone and the CCA will follow suit. It means you can use the various apps which support this casting button such as Tunein, BBC Sounds, as well as paid service apps such as Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, etc.

The analogue output socket on the CCA also doubles as an optical output allowing upgrading to a better external DAC, if you wish.

Last edited:
Thanks, shame the Echo doesn't have optical out to use an external DAC as it doesn't sound too bad connected direct to amp but a pain having to plug in jack each time. Don't really fancy a 2nd hand CCA + additional DAC so might go for the Bluesound...

The Bluesound would definitely be overkill if all you are going to use it for is internet radio. If you already have a set of favoured internet radio stations, it may be worth your while seeing if you can take advantage of the Grace Digital Primo's built-in UPnP renderer to play the streams directly using a UPnP/DLNA controller that you can add the direct stream links to, such as the BubbleUPnP Android app.

For example, I've just seen that in a similar thread of yours (currently listed below) you listen to Solar Radio:

The excellent radiofeeds.co.uk site lists four streams for Solar Radio,
1617664591100.png

the best of which appears to be a 256kbps MP3 stream at:
Code:
http://88.202.230.61:8330/listen.pls?sid=1

The Yamaha WXAD10 would do for basic streaming duties like radio, I've heard it sounds pretty decent also thanks to its Burr Brown Dac, it can be had for around £120 if you look around.
Using the music cast app you can access your stored music from PC, laptop or NAS drive and listen to Internet radio stations and music services such as Spotify Premium, Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer and Napster. No need to blow 500 quid on a bluesound.

Thanks for the info guys! The WXAD10 looks interesting, may give it a try from Amazon (easy to return) and in the meantime am checking out the Radiofeeds site - I no longer have the Grace Digital Primo but have set up the 256kbps feed on my Echo Show 8 Connected to amp which sounds pretty good! Thanks :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom