• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best Way to steam muic from yr PC to give good quality sound

Tfish

I was thinking PC>spdif>DAC>AMP.

I am using my pc more and more to store and play music but want a better quality of sound.

Thoughts appreciated

tudj

That's how mine is setup at the moment, take into mind the storage format though, if you have all of your music stored @ 128kb MP3's (or any other compressed format) as apposed to FLAC or another Lossless format, you will be losing alot of quality.

Euphonious

I'm also thinking about this. Do people think that the DAC makes a big difference? For example, I have my Creative X-Fi connected via analog to my NAD C352 and MA BR2 speakers. Would I notice a big difference in quality if I used a DACMagic or the Beresford TC-7510? Music is in lossless format.

Euphonious

Apple Lossless, but only because I have an iPhone and want to manage my library with iTunes. Since all lossless formats will sound identical, it's just a matter of preference and hardware/software support.

Tfish

i take it different versions of lossless can only be used by various diff types of software or are they all compatable?

gregf

I use a Squeezebox to steam my music from the PC to the HiFi via wireless. The Squeezebox replaced a £1,500 CD player with no loss of quality (using FLAC) and it is alot more user convinient.

tudj

I'm also thinking about this. Do people think that the DAC makes a big difference? For example, I have my Creative X-Fi connected via analog to my NAD C352 and MA BR2 speakers. Would I notice a big difference in quality if I used a DACMagic or the Beresford TC-7510? Music is in lossless format.

The difference was quite a clear one to me, my speakers give more "punch" and the bass is alot tighter and better defined.

I have the latest Beresford.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom