Best way to setup audio streaming to my AVR

rpatel18

Novice Member
I'm looking for the best way to stream audio to my current setup that consists of an Apple TV 4k and an Xbox series x plugged into my Arcam avr 550. With my apple TV 4k, it seems to top out at 44.1kHz / 16 bits, but I'm looking to get to at least 192 kHz / 24 bits as thats what Amazon Music can output on certain tracks.

I'd be ok with getting an audio streamer as well if I need to add to my setup to get the best possible audio quality but unsure which ones are good...though I have been reading up on the Cambridge CXN v2. Another question I would have to if I got a streamer, would I use the digital outs on it to go to the Arcam or would it be better to use the analog outputs to the Arcam? Would the only difference be which DAC I'm using?

D

Deleted member 39241

Hi, Arcam AVR550 owner here.

It seems to be a personal choice in how best to enjoy the AVR for 2 channel music. Some owners like to use the AVR DAC with or without Dirac.

Personally, I love how mine sounds with an external DAC and with the AVR in stereo direct mode, which switches off all of the digital processing and runs it purely as a 2 channel analogue amplifier. To access that mode you would connect via stereo analogue interconnects from your external DAC or streamer.

D

Deleted member 39241

I have a Roksan K3 DAC, and a CD transport. I am pretty much all cd's in that room, the DAC does have a dongle to enable it to connect to a PC / laptop for streaming.

rpatel18

Novice Member
I'm not sure if I need a new DAC I guess though....I'm just curious to see what the best way for me to stream audio from my laptop or my iphone would be. Currently my apple tv only supports 44.1kHz / 16, but Amazon music and Tidal support much higher quality.

D

Deleted member 39241

Using an external DAC doesn't necessarily mean having a stand alone DAC, you could just use the DAC that is already in the device. So if your laptop and phone have a headphone out socket, which would be analogue, you could use that to connect to an analogue input on the AVR.

However, a standalone DAC with a USB input for your devices might sound better. But, the other option is to just use a standalone streamer, which will have a DAC in it, and then you won't need to use your phone or laptop at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom