Best way to set up my system

aldinho

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi thanks in advance I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 340R amp and I have this set up to as a 5.1 surround sound system, the question is when it comes to the sound from the TV I have this optical digital to the amp, I then have the Playstation and the CD player optical digital to the Amp as there are 3 connections, So do I need to connect the playstation via optical digital or would the sound be as good via the HDMI connection ?,I have the Virgin media via HDMI and this all works well, I know its a bit finicky but I keep looking at all the cables and think could I get rid of the Optical one from the PlayStation, the only reason I have the CD player connected as I have loads from when I was younger but dont really use it,

HDMI will give you the same audio as optical and the quality will be the same. If your CD player has it's own DAC, then depending on how good that player is it may be better to connect via RCA. If you are using a DVD player for music then I would stick with optical.

Looking at the rear of the 340R, you have two HDMI inputs which means you should plug the PlayStation and Virgin Media box in via HDMI and use the single output to your display device. The CD as @gibbsy has mentioned will need you to test as you may prefer the audio sounds via RCA (allowing the CD player to decode the CD rather than the 340R which will happen if you send the signal via Optical/ToshLink). Trust your own ears to as only you can decide which is better for you :)

Looking at the rear of the 340R, you have two HDMI inputs which means you should plug the PlayStation and Virgin Media box in via HDMI and use the single output to your display device. The CD as @gibbsy has mentioned will need you to test as you may prefer the audio sounds via RCA (allowing the CD player to decode the CD rather than the 340R which will happen if you send the signal via Optical/ToshLink). Trust your own ears to as only you can decide which is better for you :)
Ok so the HDMI in 1 and in 2 would be the VM box and the playstation then the OUT HDMI to the TV yes ?, So at the moment I select via the TV input button the channel linked to the HDMI to the TV so Video 1 for playstation or say video 2 for the VM box as each has a separate HDMI input, so how does it work if I only have 1 HDMI going to the TV from the Amp how do I select the individual channel ? or would it be what ever appliance is live as in switched on ?.

Ok so the HDMI in 1 and in 2 would be the VM box and the playstation then the OUT HDMI to the TV yes ?
That's correct :smashin:

Usually people with av solution use the av receiver as the switching hub and the TV as the monitor (unless you watch terrestrial and stream via smart feature). If your AVR and TV both have an HDMI ARC/ARCe then, you could connect to two together via these connections as this allows audio to flow between the two enabling you to hear what the TV's is broadcasting via the AV receiver. If not, then you can use the traditional Optical/ToshLink connection

So at the moment I select via the TV input button the channel linked to the HDMI to the TV so Video 1 for playstation or say video 2 for the VM box as each has a separate HDMI input, so how does it work if I only have 1 HDMI going to the TV from the Amp how do I select the individual channel ? or would it be what ever appliance is live as in switched on ?.
The only reason I would think that you would want to set an AV solution up this way is if your av receiver is unable to work with the resolutions like 4k and if so, then you will need to keep things the same other wise, then the best way is how I have described it above. As for the HDMI input on the TV. If both TV and AV Receiver have HDMI ARC/ARCe then use these otherwise HDMI 1 on the TV and it'll be the standard HDMI output from the AV receiver

As for switching between the devices, you'll use the AV Receivers remote to switch between them. So if you have the Virgin Box plugged into HDMI 1, then it'll that button on the AV Receivers remote and so on for other input devices

Last edited:
Shane has pointed out the selection is done via the AV's remote and all signals routed through the AV would use that single HDMI to the TV. Your amp is quite old and I would connect your TV via optical as it will likely be more stable than ARC, if indeed your AV has it.

That's correct :smashin:

Usually people with av solution use the av receiver as the switching hub and the TV as the monitor (unless you watch terrestrial and stream via smart feature). If your AVR and TV both have an HDMI ARC/ARCe then, you could connect to two together via these connections as this allows audio to flow between the two enabling you to hear what the TV's is broadcasting via the AV receiver. If not, then you can use the traditional Optical/ToshLink connection

The only reason I would think that you would want to set an AV solution up this way is if your av receiver is unable to work with the resolutions like 4k and if so, then you will need to keep things the same other wise, then the best way is how I have described it above. As for the HDMI input on the TV. If both TV and AV Receiver have HDMI ARC/ARCe then use these otherwise HDMI 1 on the TV and it'll be the standard HDMI output from the AV receiver

As for switching between the devices, you'll use the AV Receivers remote to switch between them. So if you have the Virgin Box plugged into HDMI 1, then it'll that button on the AV Receivers remote and so on for other input devices
Shane , sorry yes see now use the AV to switch with as opposed to me at moment using the TV input selection, so one more question I have a Blu Ray player with no optical only HDMI would I leave the TV connected to the amp via optical and use this for the sound when playing the Blu Ray player or would having the TV connected via optical be detrimental to the set up ?, I see Gibsy is quite correct as the Amp is quite old and does lack connectivity would I be better of getting a newer amp with more HDMI ports to connect everything straight to the AV and what would be a good fit, sorry for all the questions.

Shane has pointed out the selection is done via the AV's remote and all signals routed through the AV would use that single HDMI to the TV. Your amp is quite old and I would connect your TV via optical as it will likely be more stable than ARC, if indeed your AV has it.
Thanks Gibsy I see now I was getting a bit confused about channel selection.

Shane , sorry yes see now use the AV to switch with as opposed to me at moment using the TV input selection, so one more question I have a Blu Ray player with no optical only HDMI would I leave the TV connected to the amp via optical and use this for the sound when playing the Blu Ray player or would having the TV connected via optical be detrimental to the set up ?, I see Gibsy is quite correct as the Amp is quite old and does lack connectivity would I be better of getting a newer amp with more HDMI ports to connect everything straight to the AV and what would be a good fit, sorry for all the questions.
I'd connect both the PlayStation and Blu-Ray Player to the 340R Via HDMI alone and leave the Virgin Box connected via HDMI to the TV and Optical/Toshlink to th 340R. This way, the products which will output the better sounds will work correctly via the HDCP laws whereas the Virgin Media Box will never be able to output (as far as I'm aware), the higher sound formats that the 340R can reproduce

So, you will have the Virgin Media Box and 340R connected to the TV via their own HDMI cables. Then everything else will be connected into the 340R via HDMI (PlayStation and Blu-Ray player), Optical/ToshLink (Virgin Media Box and maybe CD Player), RCA (CD Player if it sounds better to you)

I'd connect both the PlayStation and Blu-Ray Player to the 340R Via HDMI alone and leave the Virgin Box connected via HDMI to the TV and Optical/Toshlink to th 340R. This way, the products which will output the better sounds will work correctly via the HDCP laws whereas the Virgin Media Box will never be able to output (as far as I'm aware), the higher sound formats that the 340R can reproduce

So, you will have the Virgin Media Box and 340R connected to the TV via their own HDMI cables. Then everything else will be connected into the 340R via HDMI (PlayStation and Blu-Ray player), Optical/ToshLink (Virgin Media Box and maybe CD Player), RCA (CD Player if it sounds better to you)
Shane , many thanks will give it a go..thanks for the help..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom