1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best way to (run in speakers) eg 2 days continuos loud soft etc

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mick23, Aug 4, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    my bw cdm1nts still seem a bit (harsh in treble and midrange seems to be a bit lacking) dealer suggested i give them a good run in , should i run them non-stop and for how long, i have seen anything from 15hours to 60hours non stop, (do not want my amp to go into meltdown) advice please

2. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I have B&W 603s2 - They took approx - 30 hrs to run in. The treble was very harsh and the midrange flat. Now the treble & midrange integrate much better. The bass can be a bit unruly but plugging the ports help.

----

I ran them loud and soft it varied for me.

----

However I am sure you can reverse the polarity and and run them so the sound waves cancel each other out.....off the top of my head you swop the red and black terminal at the speaker end of one speaker and then place it in front of the other speaker. I believe you can crank them without hearing much audio yet the cones still react as normal.

Please make sure you dont try this un=til someone else can varify this for me as I am not 100% on this.

------

Regards,

GJC

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,934
    yep, you're right, with the speakers facing each other, reverse the polarity of one speaker, and the waves should cancel each other out.

Running in takes around 30 hours on the NT series, or so it states on their web site.

4. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably best to select a MONO source to improve the cancellation. Something like a tuner, rather than wear your CD player out....

5. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    do i run in say 30hrs non stop or in stages thank you

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget (very important): after you've run your speakers in, you will need to ensure all your existing cabling is properly run in too:

http://www.audioexcellenceaz.com/audiodharmacablecooker.htm

Fortunately, the Pro version will also 'break in' power cables. Although, funnily enough, I haven't heard of many 'pros' using this kind of thing (must be a big insider secret or summat ?).

Also, note: "it does not have an S-video connector on it, but Radio Shack or another popular commercial supplier might have an RCA-to-S video adaptor that could be used to break in that type of cable." So that's handy. Oh, and you can daisy chain cables to burn them in simultaneously (using couplers). Fantastic !

[​IMG]

Mike.

cheek <- tongue

7. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget (very important): after you've run your speakers in, you will need to ensure all your existing cabling is properly run in too

Yeah and you should do a sonic break-in of your furniture too. This simply involves playing a representative selection of music over a 7 day period in order to align the molecules in your furniture with the sound pressure waves generated by your hi-fi. Since these waves will change anytime you either a) buy a new component or b) get into a new style of music its important to repeat this process when on a regular basis.

Regards,

Jules.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jules,

Do you not do sarcasm ?

Mike.

9. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

Yeah, I realised that you weren't seriously endorsing the idea of burning in cables. I was just trying to add another ironic comment to the thread.

Jules.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phew, I thought that you thought that I was bonkersmadcuckoo back there....

11. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phew, I thought that you thought that I was bonkersmadcuckoo back there....

Nope. Although clearly enough people are in order to make cable burn-in machines commercially viable. I'm guessing that they've never been subjected to double-blind trials.

Jules.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I just add here that although there may be an extremely small change achieved by 'running in' some cables (heck, I've got to admit that it's not impossible) as soon as that gizmo mentioned running in power cables I fled for my life. That and the $749 pricetag. Now where did I put my 'nuts' gif ? Aah, there it is:

[​IMG]

Mike.

13. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    went to hifi dealer to get some bi wire cables made up they recomended dnm reson2 cable, this dealers sells very high end gear, he mentioned they do (burn in cables they make up for 24 hours on some £700 gadget) i got cable because i wanted to biwire my front speakers as suggested by three hifi shops i contacted and b&w tech support , shop will post cable to me when ready just hope i can tell if any difference re single run or biwire thanks all

14. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would also suggest that you also invest in a new keyboard - one that has working shift & full stop keys. ;-)

15. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did notice big improvements after some equipment had burn in, particularly the IC cables and the DVD player...

But I just used them normally until they where fine, no special tricks... you need patience...

If after about a month you still have problems, get other speakers... :devil: